How do you properly pick a mushroom?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a back pasture full of fist sized chanterelle mushrooms that I came across looking for firewood this afternoon.

I picked 4 of them hastily and then thought there might be a certain way to pick them so more mushrooms will return/spore.

(Also, since I am not from mushroom country someone please feel free to enlighten me on the proper verbage used to describe "picking mushrooms" and everything else mushroom. :D )

I am quite positive these are chanterells b/c the original owner of my property walked me through and showed me (last October) what to look for. Apparently I live in chanterelle country...they are everywhere.

Yes, I know there is a look a like demon mushroom. Dont worry, I'm going to feed them to my 13 year old first.

JUST KIDDING!!!! :lol:

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh post pictures of the picked ones and the field ones...how fun!

:ya

Ron

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, please post pics! I would love to see them if you have any.

We hunt morels here, as well as a few other species I am familiar with, and use a knife to cut them loose so as not to disturb the soil and mycelia ( its roots ). The part of the mushroom you pick and eat is actually the fruiting body. By the time they are up and fully opened they begin releasing their spores to repopulate. They continue releasing spores for quite awhile. One of the best ways to confirm the type of mushroom you have found is to take a spore print with a fresh specimen. If you are expecting that the mushroom should release white spores, for instance, then you lay it gill side down on black paper and cover it with a glass bowl. Then you check it hours later and see if your spores are the color that the mushroom should have.

ETA: Is this what you have?
http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/mushroom.php?id=17

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks you journey11!

Here they are:

912_chanterelle_mushrooms_003.jpg

:p I've already got my house slippers on, so I will try to take a shot of them emerging from the ground tomorrow!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool Oooh, I'm jealous! ;) I've never found a chantrelle around here, although I know people who have. I hear they are GOOD!

If you find you like them, you can freeze or dehydrate your extras to save for later. Powdered dehydrated mushrooms can really beef up gravy and soups too.

It is a good idea to eat only a small portion first to make sure they agree with you (this is the case for most any mushroom). And cook them thoroughly.

Lucky you!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How is the picking though? I mean, did BBH snip them at a good level?; that one huge one looks like it has part of the parent fungus handing on it still.

Not that I would know, but I want to LOL :frow

These look like the type that get bigger over a period of time. So my next question with these is: Do they taste different at different sizes, and if possible then it might be worth it to time them so you get the maximum size for the season.

Too cool !

Ron

Oh, and my mouth is gaping open in amazement! Seriously!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
"They big aint they?"

Inside joke, and after another glass of wine, I may tell that story...but it isn't about flora or fauna, so...NEVERMIND! :gig

Yeah, after reading journey11's post, I am going to cut them off above ground next time. There are about 10 more out there that are this big and about 10 tiny ones too.

Good questions Ron!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ideally you want to cut them off at ground level and not disturb the soil. I can't tell from the photo, they look good to me, but the best time to pick them is when they are freshly up and still moist and tender. If they get tough or woody, not so good.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They look kind of dry. The ones I have found are the same. They will taste better if we get some moisture in the soil again. Whenever that will be . . . . :rolleyes:

Yes, when you go out mushroom hunting, take a small knife and a brush with you. Then you can dust them off and cut them properly. You don't want to harm the mycelia by yanking them out of the ground.

I usually only take a few from any one patch. I like to leave most of them so they will continue to spread their spores. :) But by harvesting them, you supposedly encourage them to grow . . . that is what I have heard anyway.

Latest posts