How do you use your squash blossoms in a recipe?

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just made some deep fried cheese filled zucchinni blossoms. I put mozzerella cheese in them and rolled in a whipped egg, then in some dry Drake mix. They are the best! Now I can see why some people just grow the squash for the blossoms.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are also great as an edible salad garnish. In some parts of Italy they are traditionally added at the last minute to minestroni soup. For a great desert dip them in batter and deep fry, then after they are drained of grease roll them in powdered sugar. BTW you can also do that with yucca blossoms.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:/ interesting...gunna have to try in a salad and as dessert

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding stupid.......OK, don't care if I sound stoopid.......what is Drake mix? :lol:

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Its a mix that many use for fish and chicken. It comes in a powder form, like flour. Directions call for you to mix with egg and milk I think :/ I've always just dipped whatever in egg then in the dry mix and fry. Maybe they don't sell it everywhere?????

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
Its a mix that many use for fish and chicken. It comes in a powder form, like flour. Directions call for you to mix with egg and milk I think :/ I've always just dipped whatever in egg then in the dry mix and fry. Maybe they don't sell it everywhere?????
Maybe it is available here, just never buy fry-type mixes. I always make my own mix and have never looked for ready made mix. Does it have cornmeal in it or just flour and seasonings?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I stuff them with leftover meats orrice. I put the spices in the flour that I dredge them with. I fry in butter.

I really love them with indian spices in the flour; tumeric, onion powder, garlic powder, coriander, cardemon and ceyanne.

Friy them up crisp and served with some diced zuuchini and tomatoes you steam/fry with salt and pepper.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
April Manier said:
I stuff them with leftover meats orrice. I put the spices in the flour that I dredge them with. I fry in butter.

I really love them with indian spices in the flour; tumeric, onion powder, garlic powder, coriander, cardemon and ceyanne.

Friy them up crisp and served with some diced zuuchini and tomatoes you steam/fry with salt and pepper.
Never thought to put the leftovers in them...Great idea ;)