How does your state measure up??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are in the US, how does your state measure up in having residents with "Healthy Eating Patterns?"

Community Nutrition Map

For our purposes here, checking out the percentages for "2 years old and over meeting vegetable recommendation" & "2 years old and over meeting fruit recommendation" are the appropriate categories.

Notice how, nationwide, we have less than 25% of our population with enuf Fruits & Vegetables!

(I'll be honest . . . I'm a little surprised that the numbers, as abysmal as they are, are even that high. And they wouldn't be, in certain segments of our population . . . :/)

Steve

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Utah:
Veggies we eat 15.8 average is $16.5
Fruit we eat 24.2 average is $22.2

Guess its about time I started pulling my weight, I admit I am a potatoes & meat kinda gal, especially in the winter months. Come on summer, when its more salads & fruit, from the garden of course....still too early for my strawberries but a girl can dream.

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My kids have never really been picky. I have a 2 yr old who loves beets, carrots, peas, broccoli and the average salad fixings. He dislikes things like corn and cabbage etc. All of my kids would choose a big salad over over greasy bugers any day. I have found by growing our own vegetables they are more likely to eat them if they have been given a chore to tend them. I have always wondered why more people don't grow their own simple vegetables.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with you Miss Prissy! We just started our veggie garden. We bought the house in August '06 and didn't have the time last year with a 1 year old around. We just tilled and put up fencing around the garden last week and our son, now 21 months, loved picking out rocks and "tilling" the soil with his own rake and shovel. I think an appreciation of gardening is instilled when they are young. I remember our garden on Staten Island when I was growing up and loving the work that went into it. Now I hope to pass along that love to my son.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel that I'm blessed with having people say, "It's good for you! You need to eat more of it!"
Really? You're telling me that I can indulge myself :hu? But with everything else (EVERYTHING ELSE!!), it's either illegal, or it's immoral, or it will make me fat :barnie!

Let me at it! :weeeI'll do the best I can!

Steve's digitS'

Latest posts