How Long Before You Go Hungry?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahaha, seedcorn, hilarious how you always refer to him as "wife's dog" too.

I fear i wouldnt last long!! I'd probably feed our mutts before myself, and then i'd croak and the selfish hounds would eat ME too. Charlie especially, he's already taken a few samples...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who has put a lot of thought into this sort of thing - but in another direction. She's not really prepared to 'shelter in place' but has 'bug-out-bags' stashed at home for her, her hubby, and the pets. She also has one in the car incase somethign happens while she's at work and she has to make her way home on foot. She has crank radios, change of clothes, protien bars, those tablets to purify water, blanket, etc. She's thinking more along the lines of natural disaster and having to head to a shelter, I think.
I've thought alot recently about putting together kits like hers... even if I don't plan to leave the house.
What would you need to collect so that you COULD hunker down and stay home until........?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just guessing, but maybe 6 months. Assuming the power didn't go out for more than a week or so. I've got 2 freezers stocked with beef, venison and homegrown chicken, some frozen fruit and veggies, among other stuff I've bought on sale or whatever. And I don't know how many quarts of things I've canned and another shelf with a few store-bought canned things. The chickens should get back to laying soon. We would have to do without dairy though.

I'm not a prepper. I just put up the extra when I have it, but I suppose I ought to keep some powdered milk on hand and have some way to purify water from my cistern if I really wanted to be prepared. It's not a far-fetched thing that something could go wrong with the infrastructure we rely on for our daily needs. Just look at the water crisis they had a couple counties below mine, with hundreds of thousands of people affected. A toxic chemical got dumped into the Elk River where they source their water from and it was well over a month that those folks have had to drink bottled water and the schools have been closed most of that time. When it first happened, they told them not to even use it to do laundry! Pregnant women are still advised not to drink it. This was an accidental spill a chemical company had. Makes you shudder to think how easily a terrorist could do us some damage.

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably a few weeks. As long a the frozen foods did not go bad. The freezer is in an unheated garage so if it is cool enough out things should stay frozen. Always have staples in the cupboards for pasta, rice, bread baking. We have a generator that will run the oven, refrigerator and furnace only problem would be if we ran out of fuel for the generator! (Like ridgerummer said.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In WW3 type, we'd go for a while. Otherwise, couple weeks on milk/eggs. We have enough canned goods for LONG time-too long! Otherwise hunt/fish. Could always make chicken soup from lazy chickens. Then there is always wife's dog.... I'm told dog makes a lovely meal. Kidding, just kidding, he's getting too fat to eat.:)

Right Seed, :D this is exactly why I always have at least one fat dog hanging around. ;)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn & Thistle... dog fat is the most foul smelling animal fat that one can possibly endure ! It took me over 2 weeks of daily exposures to get used to the smell enough to necropsy them. So, unless one is REALLY hungry , I would pass.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn & Thistle... dog fat is the most foul smelling animal fat that one can possibly endure ! It took me over 2 weeks of daily exposures to get used to the smell enough to necropsy them. So, unless one is REALLY hungry , I would pass.

Thanks for the heads up Bob.
Guess the old guy can breath easier...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I'm sure it stinks, I use to run cremater at Vet clinic plus for a hog farm. Trust me, they ALL stink!

Don't Philipines eat them? Yes, my wife's dog is safe. He likes to cuddle in AM. Plus who would guard me from lions, tigers, bears while I feed chickens and do garden work?

NwMtG, that's because she lectured me for years that we would have NO MORE DOGS after last one. She goes to visit family and brings this puppy home that would fit in child's hand. Now 89# later! he is huge baby-her baby. Except he goes wherever I go, brings his toys to play, jumps in bed to cuddle, etc. her dog, yeah right-she does over feed him. He was 4 weeks old, when she brought him home.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the state of anxiety my DH has been for the last year or so, one thing he does is "hoard" food and supplies. I don't know why. But we have a lot of food stored. I can go for weeks without going to the store.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can go without groceries forever.
We NEVER eat at home, every meal is eaten out.
I do maint. work for a local restaurant and I work for food.
So close all the grocery stores if you want, the restaurant has trucks that deliver their supplies.
I have not yet been unable to get out and eat!!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts