How long can I keep carrots in the garden?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live in zone 7b and we have had two nights of upper 20's temps, I still have carrots in the garden still and they still look great. What I want to know is when should I pick them or just leave them, am I risking losing them?:idunno

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can keep them out there- even if you have to dig them up in the snow! They also keep for a really long time in the fridge- if you want to bring them in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet what Lesa says about digging out of snow is right, Trunkman.

Do you have any pine needles down there in South Carolina? I understand it is called "pine straw" in some locations ;). Raking some up around your carrots may be all that it takes to be totally sure of protection from any cold.

I've got about 12" of pine needles, over about 8" of soil, over a good lot of carrots - not far from my kitchen door. I'm not the least worried about sub-zero weather damaging those carrots.

Steve :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They'll stay fresh a lot longer in the ground than they will stored any other way. A heavy mulch will help if your ground freezes rock hard in Winter.

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not only will they stay fresh a lot longer stored in the ground, many will develop a sweeter flavor if overwintered in the ground.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, that's great, thanks for the great info everyone! I'll mulch them with about a foot of leaves till I need them. I never knew I could do that....:)

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am NC and my carrots never did well. No matter how soft and nice I made my soil...they never took off for me.
Are you doing anything special in SC to get those carrots? just wondering.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We tried carrots last year and they never came up! We live in NC as well and I think it was we just put them in the ground waaaaaaaaaay too late to get a carrot crop. :p

We're going to try again this year and maybe even get 2 crops out of it! :-D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Until the ground freezes solid. YOu might be able to mulch them with a bale of hay and keep them indefinitely. You can also dig them and store them in a cool place. I use a clean trash can and layer them with hay.

Latest posts