How long do seeds last?

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Many of the things I want to plant come in packets of 100 or 200 seeds. There is no way I can have 100 of each variety! lol Does anybody know how long the seeds will be viable? Can I save them a few years or am I better off just buying new? Also, is there a storage method?
I always just bought the plants I wanted in spring at the nursery....worked well for plating a small veggie garden. Now, however I have at least 20 different things I want to plant and that method will be too expensive ;)

Thanks!

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MuranoFarms said:
Many of the things I want to plant come in packets of 100 or 200 seeds. There is no way I can have 100 of each variety! lol Does anybody know how long the seeds will be viable? Can I save them a few years or am I better off just buying new? Also, is there a storage method?
I always just bought the plants I wanted in spring at the nursery....worked well for plating a small veggie garden. Now, however I have at least 20 different things I want to plant and that method will be too expensive ;)

Thanks!
Well.. I've got the same problem and I'm sure some people just chuck them out from year to year. However, I believe that as time passes they just lose fertility a bit at a time.. So, if the first year got you 8 seedlings sprouted out of 10, then perhaps 2 years later you might get 6 out of 10 or something like that.

In terms of storing them, seedbanks across the planet use freezing (<18C) to keep them viable.. You can read up on them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbank

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For a couple of years there will not be much effect at all. After that you will get a slow loss of fertility.

I don't know anyone who tosses old seeds. Like me, they just plant a little more if the seeds are old.

If you really want to keep them for a while and make sure they germinate, you can seal them with a food saver and pop em in the freezer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Viability of Vegetable Seeds, Virginia Tech There is a table about half way down the page.

It is probably fairly accurate with my casual - seeds on the basement shelves - approach. I do notice that onion seed has fairly low viability. I've got 10 each of 2 different varieties dropped in with a potted plant about 4' from my right elbow. The seed is from 2007 and I am very skeptical of its viability.

I have had quite old tomato seed germinate - seems like 8 years once, but "timing is everything" out in the garden. (I say that too often ;).)

If I have some 5 year old sweet corn seed and wait impatiently for the soil to warm to 50F, then sow my seed. At that temperature, I have about a 3 week wait for the seed to germinate. And, if it doesn't . . . . Well, I have completely lost my first planting of corn :(!

If I make the mistake of replanting that seed in the 4th week, I will lose my corn growing season entirely.

I am as parsimonious as the next guy but there's that "penny-wise" thing :/.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Anasazi bean hails back to some beans that were found in a cave in (I believe) Arizona sealed in a pot. They were thought to have been stored there by an Apache tribe and were estimated to be at least 200 years old. When planted most of them grew and eventually found their way into home gardens. They are an excellent bean for hot dry climates.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might be a little off, but I was watching a show on discovry channel awhile back. Seems they found viable seeds in the pyramids. I would really like to have a pyramid garden.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I have some 5 year old sweet corn seed and wait impatiently for the soil to warm to 50F, then sow my seed. At that temperature, I have about a 3 week wait for the seed to germinate. And, if it doesn't . . . . Well, I have completely lost my first planting of corn
Get a few CFL's and a warm spot inside, some Jiffy pots and test em in February! :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many of my seed packets say how long the seed is viable ( I just looked at them and I guess those are the Territorial ones) but the average is about 3 years.
You have to store them right also , I keep mine in glass jars with one of those desiccant packets like you get in vitamins. Thats not necessarily the best way, but it's reasonable and I get pretty good germination from stored seed.
You can also do a simple germination test by getting a paper towel damp(on the verge of almost wet ), put 10 seeds in it,making sure they don't touch, roll it up and place it in a plastic bag. Put the bag somewhere warm (water heater, top of fridge) and check every day. You should get a good idea what your germination will be for the remainder of the packet.
Heres a story about some old seed.... http://www.eldoradoheirloomseeds.com/
edited to add - look on the sidebar for the 2000 year old seed.

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
You all are completely awesome!!!! I really appreciate all the answers!