How long do store-bought seeds keep?

DianeS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just realized when I planted my garden that I used old seeds. Probably purchased about three years ago. I thought the packages looked wrong when I got them out, but I figured I had simply forgotten what I purchased. But no, I was using old packages I had forgotten I had.

So, is my corn likely to still come up? Or are the seeds too old and I should just start over quick before it gets any later? It's only been 11 days since I planted, we have a late start to the growing season here.

Thanks in advance!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables with seeds. How were they stored, etc. I would expect some of those seeds to be viable...Check the packet and see how many days to germination- seems like you should be seeing something at 11 days...If you have the new seeds, I think I would go ahead and plant them. If both come up, you can always thin out the weakest. JMO

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It All depends on the type of seed. Tomatoes and squash are VERY viable, even several years old.
There are several ways to check your seeds. You can use a paper towel with water and a few seeds to see if any sprout, then carefully transplant them and try planting the remainder.
Remember, anthropologists have found seeds in tombs that are 100's and 1,000's of years old and some of THEM have sprouted when cared for.
Hope this helps! It sure is fun to buy these packages on super uber sale and then watch 'em grow!!

DianeS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
These are corn seeds. The package says they sprout in 7 - 10 days. But it's day 12. If they're not sprouting by Saturday I'll plant on top of them, and thin out the weakest if these do sprout later. Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
take a knife, screwdriver, etc; go dig up a seed see what is happening. You could have insects killing the sprouts (always a danger in cooler, wetter conditions) or they've lost their germ or they've lost their vigor which means they will come, it just takes longer. Best bet, is go dig one up. If you do it carefully, if they have sprouted, you will do no damage.

How deep did you plant them? If you went past 2" it will take longer for them to sprout. Sweet corn is never as fast as package says.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For information on the viability of other vegetable seed, this table from Virginia Cooperative Extension makes sense to me:

Seed For The Garden

Note that VA Coop Ex is talking about "saving seed" among other things. And, they say, "Be aware that seed companies may store seeds up to the number of years of their viability prior to selling them."

I do, at times, get into a little trouble trying to use up old seed.

No error of mine: I was very much looking forward to trying Blacktail Mountain Watermelon this year. Of the dozens and dozens of varieties that I have started from seed, that packet of seed was the only one with ZERO germination! In fact, I can say that it was the only one with less than 50% germination, with that 0% performance!

It isn't just a matter of environmental factors or what you have done with the seed once it shows up in your mailbox. Not often but sometimes, the seed companies are selling c**p!
:barnie Steve

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last yr. I ran across some old seed that were 7 and 10 yr. old. Scratched them in haphazardly between other stuff just to see what would happen. I was surprised when the parsley, cilantro, and sweet peas grew.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they're kept in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight (you can even refrigerate or freeze them), they will likely still have some viability in them even after a few years. Some things will keep much longer than others (Steve's link will give you a good idea). I've heard of people keeping corn and beans in the freezer and still getting good germination over 10 years later... I think it's always worth a try. I like to take about 10 seeds and lay them in between a couple layers of damp paper towel, then tuck them inside an open ziploc bag and see how many of them will sprout. That gives me some idea how they will do if I plant them.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had some corn left from last year and planted it in the first 2 rows of my corn. About half came up. I also planted heavy so I just spent the morning transplanting corn from other rows into the first two rows. It has been 3 weeks since I planted it. If it is 3 years I would be a little worried. Corn is one of the seeds that gets old quicker then others. My tomato seeds from last year had a 100% germination.

Reaction score
I found this in an old book called "Grow IT"

How long seeds last if kept properly..

Beans, Lima 3 years
Beans, Snap 3 years
Beets 4 years
Broccoli 3 years
Cabbage 4 years
Cabbage, Chinese 3 years
Cantaloupe 5 years
Carrots 3 years
Cauliflower 4 years
Chicory 4 years
Chives 2 years
Corn, Sweet 3 years
Cucumbers 5 years
Lettuce 6 years
Onions 1 year
Parsley 1 year
Parsnip 1 year
Peas 3 years
Peppers 2 years
Pumpkins 4 years
Radish 4 years
Rutabaga 4 years
Spinach 3 years
Squash 4 years
Tomatoes 4 years
Turnip 4 years
Watermelon 2 years

Thought this might be helpful to others.

Latest posts