how long do things last in the fridge?

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I opened a jar of pickles that I canned a few weeks ago. Yummy! Now, how long do I have to eat them all up?

Same with the jam I made.

Since there's no preservatives in them, I'm assuming I cannot leave them in there for a long time.

Another reason (I believe) I'll need to can in 1/2 pints mostly!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Til they get funny :p

Honestly, it kinda depends on the particualr product and your personal tastes as far as how 'funny' it can be and you still want to eat it. My mother's homemade pickles always lasted at least a month, in the fridge after opening. Jam/jelly/marmalade/etc will last for an insanely long time if it the 'normal' type with a truckload of sugar or honey in it -- the sugar itself is actually quite effective in discouraging bacterial growth and the lid and fridge will discourage molds. It may weep a little but you can just pour the liquid off. Low-sugar jam-type things OTOH do not last so long in the fridge, just a few weeks.

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's my experience, also.

Jelly/jam will mold eventually, but it seems to be good forever, first.

One way to help that along, is excellent hygiene. Only put clean utensils which you've not used to taste with, into the jar, and bring out what you want before spreading it, so that bits of bread and such don't get into the jar. And most of all, open the lid, serve, and re-close it promptly.

You might notice that Smucker's jams and such do not have chemically sounding preservatives in them.

It's hard for pickled things to last here, but when they do, they don't go bad quickly.

As long as enough vinegar/sugar's been used, and they are refrigerated after opening. :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with Pat and Tutter but did want to tell you one thing. I recently pulled out an opened jar of my homemade B&B pickles that had been opened and in my fridge for a minimum of more than a year. They were just as good as the day they were first opened, in taste, texture and appearance. I'm very surprised that they lasted that long, but they did only because my DS forgot about them. :lol: Also, I don't keep anything like jams, jellies, pickles, mayo or Miracle Whip in the door of my fridge. The door of my fridge is primarily occupied with BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustards, tabasco sauce, steak sauce, chopped garlic, non-creamy salad dressings and horseradish. Stuff that I don't think could spoil in ten years. I just don't think the door keeps other things cold enough to last very long.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a good point, Blurose. We don't keep those things on the door, either. :)

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
*I haven't been on this site in awhile, so I apologize for the delayed response!*

Great point, Blu!

Latest posts