How long does garlic take?

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted my garlic pretty late (I had no idea I needed to plant so early...now I do!)...well it started to go to seed (or flower) so I pulled one up and it looked pretty good (especially considering I didnt think it would do anything since I planted it so late!). Do I have to pull them up when they start to flower? or do I want to just keep letting them grow until the leaves start to die back?
I have about 6 more jumbo garlics and about 20 regular garlics in the ground still.
This is the jumbo garlic I pulled out today.

6520_picture_2431.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just cut off the flower stalks. If you do it while they are still tender they are called scapes and edible. Wait till 60 to 75% of your leaves have turned yellow to pull them. Actually it's better to dig than pull. You do less damage to that papery covering that way. Shake the dirt off but don't wash them. That little bit of soil clinging to them can be brushed off when it is completely cured.

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Just cut off the flower stalks. If you do it while they are still tender they are called scapes and edible. Wait till 60 to 75% of your leaves have turned yellow to pull them. Actually it's better to dig than pull. You do less damage to that papery covering that way. Shake the dirt off but don't wash them. That little bit of soil clinging to them can be brushed off when it is completely cured.
Thank you!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If most of your leaves are green- it is not ready to harvest. Not that you can't dig a few, if you need them... As hoodat, says, just cut those curly parts off (my guess is, in zone 6, they are already too tough to eat). But, remember that for next year. Since you planted late, chances are you have a couple months to go, before you should harvest. Enjoy!

Latest posts