How long have you been gardening

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my. Does it count as gardening if it's just your chores every time the adults want some grownup time?

Most people we knew and most of my family had either a farm or a veggie/fruit garden. Whenever my parents wanted to visit someone, and wanted to talk about grownup stuff (which was almost always, they weren't that interested in kid stuff), they'd send me out to the garden to weed or pick something.

When I was six, one of my mother's boyfriends showed me how to garden properly. He made some raised beds for me in his yard and we planted a bunch of seeds, just the easy generic stuff you can grow in any old suburban lot. My mother broke up with him a couple of years later, but I kept up with buying tomato and herb seeds and planting them in a side yard. Kept that up until I was a teenager, when we moved to a house that had only woodlot around it, no open space and virtually no sunlight at all. I tried to plant something close to the house where the trees were thin, but the invasive weeds killed it and I couldn't hack the poison ivy back fast enough. I switched to container gardening and kept nothing more than houseplants and tea herbs for several years through college.

When DH went to college, we finally found a house to rent where we were allowed to have a garden in the yard. I planted one, and we were just getting the first peas when our landlady called to say that she had sold the house to a guy who was buying it for his daughter, so she wouldn't have to stay in the dorms--and we had 30 days to get out.

Found yet another house where we were allowed to have a small garden in the backyard, and it was wonderful the first year, got plenty of strawberries, greenbeans, flowers, herbs, it was just lovely. The second year, there was a giant blackout over Ohio, other parts of the Midwest, and a substantial portion of the Northeast. My veggie patch got squashed by emergency electrical repair trucks, the trellises smashed to bits and everything. They drove right through the neighbor's fence and above-ground pool, too--and they had a perfectly good easement through a back alley that they just didn't feel like using, if that tells you anything about FirstEnergy Electrical Corporation, may they rot in heck.

Went back to a few houseplants (orchids, cacti) after that. Then in 2006 when we were house shopping, we had it as one of our criteria that the house had to be on a minimum of 2 acres. In the bedroom communities around Boston, this is nigh-on impossible, but we found a couple of 'em and bought the one that sat on ex-farmland. It only provided one easement to wildlife scientists who worked on the neighboring nature preserve, and there was no reason at all for any utility truck to go in our yard, ever, without our permission. It had many trees but also a good portion of nice open yard that was just begging to be made into a veggie garden. Also, the seller had cleared part of the woodlot as a horse paddock for his horse, and there was plenty of, uh, fertilizer available. There were many mature bushes and trees that needed some rehabilitation with clippers, shears and the chainsaw to make them presentable, so I have a nice lilac hedge and lots of forsythias around, plus some great big sugar maples that I can tap in early March. There's a 100y.o. golden chain tree in the backyard and a very very old (don't know how old exactly) oak in the woodlot that will be getting some TLC in the spring. Last year, waiting to see what surprises we would get in the spring was incredibly exciting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rosalind, can you tell us about that "100y.o. golden chain tree in the backyard."

There are just a few around here even tho' the Robinia-types grow like crazy. I'd like to know if you have problems with 'em and how big they get.

(Not that I'll be around in 100 years ;)

Steve
:rainbow-sun

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not much to tell. It came with the house, it is planted altogether too close to the foundation for my liking, and here is what it looks like now:

housebackyardjanuary4pm.jpg

It looks like at some point, say, 60 years ago, someone thought that it was indeed too close to the house, and cut it to the ground, coppice-style. Then about 15-20 years ago, someone was having a problem again with branches too close to the house, and pollarded the remaining branches. Miraculously it survived this abuse, although there are many rotten sections. Those lumpy things you see in the bottom right just under some branches, those are big chunks of dead wood. I chainsawed the worst of the rotten sections off, but there is still more dead wood that needs to come out this spring. Also, some branches are buggy and the local woodpeckers foil my attempts to cut the bugs out and tar over the cuts--they pick the tar off and make holes as territorial markings even if there aren't any bugs underneath.

Clearly you should never plant them right next to a patio and within 10 feet of a foundation, as this one was. I would suggest 50 feet as a safe distance. But apparently they can be coppiced to some extent.

They also need pruning. Oh, lord help me, does this thing need pruning. I've never in all my life seen so many suckers on a single plant. We're talking, two wheelbarrows' worth of suckers that I take out of this thing annually. I'm not saying the kindling doesn't come in handy for the fireplace, I'm just saying, this is not a low maintenance tree. I spend more time sawing, pruning, weeding maple seedlings out of, and tarring this tree than I spend on spraying and mowing around 25 fruit trees, that's a fact. If you want something low-maintenance with yellow flowers that gets to be the size of a large bush or small tree, find a yellow magnolia or lilac.

It's pretty in the spring. Last year's Memorial Day barbecue, this thing was as handsome as I could ask for. I put Xmas lights in it when it got dark, it was gorgeous. But a LOT of work for an ornamental.

Latest posts