how long will seed potatoes store

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all,
I contacted the company and the man who owns,
The company was the man I was talking to ( it's only a small company in Ireland) and he said the earlier you start chitting your potatoes the better.
He said he usually starts chitting his main crops at the end of January,
As its better to have them chitting longer.
I have orderd them main crop, and my first earlies.
I also bought an oscillating hoe.
Here's a link to it on their website.
There is also a video on them using it
https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/oscillating-stirrup-hoe
The man showing you it in the video is one of the company owners.
Thank you,
Fionn.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all,
I contacted the company and the man who owns,
The company was the man I was talking to ( it's only a small company in Ireland) and he said the earlier you start chitting your potatoes the better.
He said he usually starts chitting his main crops at the end of January,
As its better to have them chitting longer.
I have orderd them main crop, and my first earlies.
I also bought an oscillating hoe.
Here's a link to it on their website.
There is also a video on them using it
https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/oscillating-stirrup-hoe
The man showing you it in the video is one of the company owners.
Thank you,
Fionn.
I have I have purchased this type of hoe ( called "hula hoe " here ) and used it in Cal. a couple times . At least in my neighborhoods, that hoe is not as advertised to perform. My old try and true hoe outperforms it hands down. It has now sat in the corner of the garage unused for at least 10 years now. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are quite a few hoe types and even more names for the hoes. I've wondered if this might be from the misery they bring ... that might just be something personal :).

I'm a sit on the stool and weed the garden bed - kind of gardener. So, I usually use short handled tools. I have long handled hoes but much of my use for them is just to assist me in walking around the garden. When I have some weeding to do between rows and can't bring the rototiller in to do it, I may use the long handled hoe.

My favorite is just a warn down draw hoe. It can't last much longer. I was given it by someone who didn't want to use it anymore and have I have had to sharpen it several times. What to replace it with? I imagine that I will just cut about 2" off a regular hoe and sharpen what is left. Buying something suitable off the rack might be a little difficult. About the best choice for me might be something called a "half moon" hoe. Still, that name is also applied to other types, including a "push" hoe! I really doubt that I'll be buying a Dutch, stainless steel hoe but this is what I'm talking about: link

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fionn, I use a hoe like that, called a stirrup hoe here, and it works real well. I think the higher quality ones are most effective. I had a cheaper type and it was not so useful.

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for your posts,
I am realy looking forward to trying it out,
But I will have to let afew more weeds grow :D