how many tomato plants in square foot gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man, I would love to post a photo but haven't got around to finding out how to resize pics for dial-up downloading....will eventually play around with and figure it out.

I used large bean poles I found under the chicken coop....the old folks that built this place left a lot of great things. Next year I hope to build 6 ft. x 6 ft permanent trellises that I can move from bed to bed and arrange the way I like. This year they are all tied and teepeed with twine cross-latticing every 6 inches from bottom to top. I am interweaving the plants as they grow. It has been necessary to tie a few onto the latticing here and there but, for the most part, the weaving seems to be working. I expect they will need more tying when the fruit is heavy. The concept is that the tomato vines will sort of just "lean" on the trellis for support. I think this would work better if I had wood cross pieces. By next year, I will. For now, it is working great and the tomatoes are much stronger and thicker than the few I have, in a seperate bed, tied to a stake. Actually, this is my most crowded bed and it is growing 10 times better than any of the other beds! I will be using the tomato trellis this winter to form a temporary greenhouse for some broccoli, lettuce, etc. Also would like to leave a tomato or two in place and see if they continue to produce!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed, that sounds great...another questions though :)

If it is a tee pee style then 1) is the tom planted in the center? 2) isn't the back side too shaded?
I need to find a better way for my fall toms.

I am growing a Lemon cuke in the same fashion and it works really well. I had not considered it for my toms.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't describe this well, darnitifIcouldonlypostapic!!! I'm sorry, Dace! :( I'll try this again. My bed is 4ft. x 35 ft. so my trellis consists of (2)poles tied together at the top, every 4 ft., with connecting poles lying lengthwise along the top....all the way down the bed. So imagine a very long (inverted) V-shaped tunnel formed of poles and twine. Like a long line of tent poles crossed at the top. If one were to cover this with cloth or plastic it would resemble a long, long tent!! I planted my tomatoes in a staggered line on the outside of the bed. As they grow I weave the outer set inward, then outward through the cross-latticing twine and the inner set outward then inward in the same pattern. Like weaving a basket! In the middle, or the floor, of this open air "tent" I have planted onions, pumpkins and melons. Also marigolds and nasturtiums!

I swear I am going to learn how to do this whole post a pic thing.....a pic is worth a thousand words! I just LOVE seeing everyone's pics! It makes one feel more connected somehow!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ah-ha! I was picturing a round t-pee. I get it. Now what is on the backside? nothing?

So the front is planted with toms, and they lean back onto the latticed string and you weave them in as needed. Underneath you have other things planted. Very clever! Does the underside get enough sun? Is the whole thing running (lengthwise) west-east (which would mean shade on the back side) or at another angle to capture more sun? I wonder if you could position it to be north-south and plant toms on both sides?

Sorry to be such a pest but I really need a new method!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tomatoes are planted on both sides of the tent and some on the ends! :) Along with my pole beans! Everything seems to get sun....see thread about tomatoes and onions! My garden is in full sun with an apple orchard behind it. The only shade it gets is in the early morning between 6-8 am.

BTW, am downloading to PB as we speak....have been downloading for 1/2 hour and have only 11% of sixteen photos done.....now we see why I don't do this? Who knows how long this will take? Last time it took 6 hours to download 10 pics!!!!!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed, here's what I do, as I'm on dial-up, too.

#1 ~ Reduce photos in Irfanview. (Free download, I posted about it elsewhere to you.)

#2 ~ Take reduced photos to PhotoBucket, and upload them 1 at a time.

When I do both steps, each photo takes a minute or 2 to upload, max. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found it! Wow! Wish I had payed more attention before this! :rolleyes: Will try one now to show my rain-soaked garden!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, folks, I tried it.....indicated the upload was done and all.....went to the page labeled "my uploads".....nothing! NADA! No pic! Took forever also...to find out there is nothing uploaded. Maybe dial-up just won't work for that feature?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:hit :aww

I dint have much luck with photo bucket or any "hosting" sites...

I do however upload tons of photos to walmart.com because I order my prints there..

when I go into my album..I click on the pic I want (makes it a little bigger) then I right click and copy the web address out of the properties..

put the web addres between the IMG buttons

and BaM pics..

I upload anyway to order my prints..

Latest posts