How much do you reuse?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been canning for a few years but not a lot (many 8-10). I have always been told that you shouldn't reuse the lid that has already been canned once. You can reuse the rings though. So is that true about the lids? Are they a one time only use?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes they are a one time deal. The rubber gets soft and food particals get in the seal, They are cheep to buy so just replace them every time.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My sister says she reuses hers. However I don't. They aren't that expensive.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't reuse them for canning again, but I do use them to cover a canning jar that I use to keep a pantry staple like dry beans, coconut, choc. chips, etc.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, they're not trustworthy to reuse (even if they seal at first they cannot be guaranteed to hold it). I do what blurose says too. Whatever you do, DO NOT let your four year old get ahold of them and use them as ninja throwing star type things, ask me how I know :p

Pat

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I never reuse for canning. I have used over the pantry jar thing. Mostly I saved them up and gave them to one of the kids' teachers. She put things on 1 side and used them for matching games.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
One yr. when my DD was in the lower grades I saved the lids from used jars for Christmas crafts they were making. Some where made into photo magnets for the fridge, some were used as ornaments for the tree and some were made into coasters. There are lots of inventive uses for used lids.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of great ideas for reusing those canning lids here. :woot

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do not reuse the lids but I do keep and reuse the rings. Before storeing the jars I remove the rings and wash them, dry them good and save for the next year. Before useing them I check each one for rust or dents and get rid of them if necessary.

Latest posts