How much would you pay for this at a farmers market......

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hot Sauce Kit

Basically it will include:

A 1/2 pint mason jar
Enough Fresh Peppers to make the recipe (usually around 4 or 5)
Detailed instructions and recipe

Kind of a gimmick I know, but before I started growing my own peppers I would always go to markets and see peppers bunched. I would end up throwing away most of the peppers because I simply couldn't use them all. I thought this might be a way to move some of my hot peppers and get a slightly better price for them. Any thoughts?

Auntie Ron

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,

On average a 1/2 pint jar of salsa goes for $4 or $5 dollars a jar completed.

As for a "kit" to do your own salsa I would imagine that you are certainly offering a cheaper way for a person to get that same quality as "homemade" and the fun of doing it themselves. So I would have to think that unless it is packaged to seem like a "fun" thing to do, then a bit cheaper. I guess it all depends on the way it is packaged and presented to a normally "I never do anything myself" public.

Goodluck,

Ron

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you seen the cookie stuff in a jar? It's just a mason jar with all of the ingredients (layered so it looks cool) with a cute fabric swatch on the top, with a bow, and a cheap little wooden mixing spoon. They are $10, and people buy them! :th I could buy the premade straight in the oven kind for $3!!!
Anyway, my point is that it looks cute and would be an easy gift. The personal touches (the fabric swatch with cookies on it and little spoon) make it more appealing to people.
If you put a little extra care into it, you probably could charge the same amount as you would already made salsa. It's the presentation that make people spend the extra $$.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thinking along the lines of Carri.

And while we're on the subject, you could offer a beans and chili deal. Dried beans in cute jar, a little packet of spice, and peppers. Don't forget a recipe, the bow etc.

Oh, and don't forget a label, maybe one with peppers on it, so that the person can write what it is on it, and date it, or personalize it for giving. They come individually, or in sheets, and you can carefully cut them out, leaving the backing on, and give one or 2 with each kit. Actually, you can probably find them free online to print out yourself; just get plain stickers.

Good luck! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a cute, original idea!!!! I love it! :dance

I plan to offer similar things at my mini-farmer's market here at the house. Gift baskets are great for people who lack the imagination to make one themselves!

In the area I used to live, it was becoming quite popular to give gift baskets, instead of flowers, at a funeral! They might include a small candle, a decorative notepad, a small pack of flower seeds (to plant a "memory" garden), some herbal soap, a picture frame, etc. in a cute container or basket with all the trimmings. These gift baskets go anywhere from $25 to $50, according to the contents! Talk about making money! I, myself, would rather get a gift basket, as flowers die and it almost makes one feel more sad!

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great ideas guys. I was planning on making it nice looking. I figure the jars cost about a buck, and the labels and recipes might be some change plus the peppers. I figure I'll start them out at $3.00 (small batch hot sauce costs $4-5.00 in a store) If they don't sell I can always lower the price and still break even. I would love to try and sell some actual hot sauce but don't want to have to mess with permits and what not. I love the chilli idea.

Latest posts