How soon can "new" potatoes be harvested?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
strange vocabulary happening on this thread; senescence, grabbling, groveling, peeking under skirts; and the humble potato is the source of it all - who knew? :hu
Are you sure you still want to eat potatoes? :lol:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a potato in the compost that never composted - it sprouted instead. I was doing some weeding yesterday and noticed that a bit of potato was showing - so out of curiosity I brushed away some soil to see if it was getting big... it was at least the size of my fist! And there was another one next to it!! They had a slightly greenish tint to them - because of being exposed to the sun????? If there are potatoes THAT big under there, can I dig them up now and plant something else there for the rest of the season?? I thought I was supposed to wait till the plant started to die back, but at this rate it's gonna smother 1/4 of the garden before it's done.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, do you have Mt. Rotmore II going then?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually yes. Halfway between the current garden and the coop I've dumped a bunch of the wood shavings/sawdust that I started the original Rotmore with and there is a light layer of horse/chicken manure, coffee grounds, and a bag of chicken feed that went bad.
This potato, though, was in the original pile. I don't know how it managed to survive all the turning and un-piling/re-piling but it poped up right next to the tomatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are NOT to eat green potatoes, Cane'.

There are 1 or 2 things I don't know about potatoes like: How much of it would make you sick?

Here is something else I don't know but I believe is true: if you cover a green potato long enuf, it will lose its "greenness."

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with that wicked storm we had the other week 2 of our plants took the worse of it and there was hope for them, so decided to get my hands dirty so checked under their skirts woohoo
heres the harvest from them.