How to cook Awesome Zuchini

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got so lucky today. I bet @so lucky has never been as lucky as I was today.

My friend and I are going on our annual beach trip, and I asked on my Buy Nothing group to borrow some sand toys since it makes no sense to purchase sand toys when we only use them once a year. A person who has traded with me several times told me to come pick up from her home. It turns out her husband is a master gardener!!

Sand toys promptly forgotten, I spent 20 minutes touring his garden, made an appointment to pick his brain Thursday when we both had more time, and was gifted an incredible yellow heirloom zucchini from his garden. My daughter promptly adopted it as her own precious teddy, and has been carrying it around ever since.

I want to make her something absolutely delicious out of it, but the only time I've ever done anything with zucchini I hid it in zucchini bread so my son would eat it. My daughter doesn't like bread, so what do I make? What's your #1 zuch recipe?

Oh and he can also test my soil for me and go over what's wrong in my garden!!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i was cooking more i would use them as filler in about anything i was making. they have a very delicate flavor that tends to absorb whatever else they're cooked with. if you are grilling something cut them into big slices, put on a bit of oil and then on the grill. timing depends upon how much you want them done.

another easy one is to cut them up and then eat them raw with ranch dip or another sauce/dip. most kids like things with dips.

if he likes cheese sauce he probably won't even notice their flavor under some of that.

i'm not sure if you have the way to do it, but long skinny pieces and then boiled like spaghetti for a few minutes might be novel enough for him to try them with your spaghetti sauce or something else.

these are what i can think of, good luck! :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're going to the beach with lots of raw veggies and ranch dip. I can cut it up for her then!!

My son's disinterest in zuchs doesn't bother me. He used to hate all vegetables, but now he'll eat peas, carrots, salad, pickles, and a modest number of other vegetables. He eats every kind of fruit you can imagine and loves them all, and he self moderates with "unhealthy" foods. I'm fine with that in a 9 year old <3

I do want to ride the "loves all veggies" train for as long as possible with my daughter though haha, everyone says her tastes will change.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love stuffed zuc, with cheese, rice and hamburger.

I love a casserole tossed with bread stuffing mix, and cheese, topped with those crunchy horrible for you delish onions in a canister.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
he's much more tolerant than my nephew at that age. i recall him living off not much other than macaroni and cheese and hot dogs (and of course other things that had nothing to do with vegetables). luckily he has moved on a bit from that but he is still rather picky. enjoy the beach! :)