How to dry Basil ???

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is this as simple as puting some leaves in a jar and just letting them dry out, crushing and then I have dried basil? My basil crop is beautiful this year and I would love to preserve some.

Anne

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went to a meeting by the herb society in my neighborhood and the lady said to just freeze it. I think she said it to everything. Like put it in a ziploc and freeze then crinkle a little when you want some.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm curious about what responses you will get. I grow LOTS of basil every year but putting it in the foodprocessor and then freezing it is the only storage technique we use.

With some herbs DW rinses them well, shakes a little water off them, and drops them in a gallon zip lock bag. They go into the freezer like that. This might work for basil. There may be a cosmetic problem in the technique - basil turns black outdoors with the cold even without frost. I guess I should have tried it one of these past years but never got a round tuit . . .

Drying, for the same reason (turning black), may be undesirable. The only way that I can imagine it leaving you with a green product is to dry it very, very quickly.

Until a more suitable technique comes along for me, it will be to stuff the food processor full, whir away, then spoon into small bags and freeze.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts; a couple of questions. You could dry the basil like the photo. This is actually tarragon, but you get the idea. This is in my garage but any dry place could work.

6180_hanging_tarragon.jpg

If you do freeze it, you might consider putting a thin layer on waxed paper on a cookie sheet to freeze it, then put it in your container or zip-loc. This way, you are less likely to get a frozen lump and can break off small amounts as required. This should work if you do the leaves or the food processor thing.

Question: When you take the leaves and freeze them without drying, what is the texture/consistency when you take them out to use them? Do they crumble or do you need to chop them?

Question: You might be able to use a dehydrator to dry them but I'd be concerned the heat would prematurely release the oils and flavor. I'd also expect them to retain their green color. Any comments or experience?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't dry basil at all, it just doesn't stay *nearly* as flavorful as if you puree it with olive oil and then freeze. You can freeze it in a thinnish layer in a ziploc baggie, so when you need some you can break off a suitable size piece of the frozen "slab". Very tasty.

(If you freeze leaves just plain, they become mushy, pure-black, and off-tasting when thawed)

If I *were* going to dry basil I would pick it on a hot sunny August day just after the dew were off, and air-dry it somewhere dark and airy... a dehydrator is likely to make it even less basil-y than airdrying will, and in non-southern climates, if you try drying it now it will probably not be very good at all. (Even freezing is better done while the basil is still growing well).

For air-drying herbs, I am with Ridgerunner, the simplest thing is to bunch them and hang somewhere out of direct sunlight and airy.

But pureeing with olive oil (sort of a proto-pesto :)) is really what I'd recommend, by far, for basil specifically.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pat,
How long does the basil and olive oil puree last when frozen? I know pesto has a short life when frozen but I'd think that is the nuts, not necessarily the basil or oil.
TIA

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't really know, I never make enough and thus tend to run out of it after 3-4 months :p

I use it for pesto too, just add nuts and cheese (sometimes I puree the garlic in with the basil, sometimes I leave it til later depending on what's within reach at the time) and mix well or re-blend, and presto, pesto :)

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok so just resurrecting this thread for clarification.

I want to preserve some of my basil. And what I get is

basil + oil + freezer = happy winter

in smalll bags

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree on freezing. I've tried drying it, but the scent seems to be too volatile and is mostly lost in the process. Just not the same as fresh, but freezing is close.