How to finish wood for raised beds

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We are building raised beds and we don't want to put all that wood out there just to have it rot! So is the pre-treated stuff safe for a veggie garden or do we have to finish it someother way? Thanks

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, the pre-treated stuff leaches nasty heavy metals (used to be arsenic, now it's copper salts). DH put three coats of clear polyurethane on the wood that holds together the compost heap, and it's been in good shape even with a big hot compost pile up against it. Although I hear that polyurethane with a little bit of tint will help the wood hold up against UV.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I only finished the outside of my boxes. I wasn't sure that having the finish break down and then mixing in with my soil was a good idea. I'm sure they'll rot eventually :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used none treated 2x4's (used from the rehome store) I finished and sealed the outsides of the wood with a decking stain.

I just didn't do the insides of the wood. We'll see!:/

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am buying about $1500 worth of wood and I really don't want to replace that in 5-6 years LOL! ;) (For 18 beds and two gardens(My grandfather wants a garden too) So polyurethane/stain is what you recomend. Should I finish the insides or not? Thanks

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love wood finishing. I love the smell of stain first thing in the morning. I'd give it two coats of stain, something that will look good in your yardscape, and then throw as many coats of poly on it as you deem necessary. I put at least two coats on interior woodwork.

Latest posts