How to get rid of the VOLE!

chickensista

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think I have a vole problem. Something ate half my carrots from underground(LOTS of carrots), ate all roots of an eggplant, and seems to have moved on to my green beans. I believe the entire bed will be gone soon if I don't get him.
So, what have you used that has worked? I have 2 dogs - one very food motivated, so I'm hesitant to use poison. Will snap traps work on them? How would you place it? Will they come upstairs or just stay underground?
Dang vermin. Any help would be appreciated!
Terry

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There should be some spots that you can find where it is going in ad out of the surface. Go get you some rubber snakes and add them there. I also believe that someone in another post said that blood meals would help with this as well.

Hobby

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it's not so much that no-one has voles, as maybe no-one has any good way of getting rid of them (other than the classic and fairly effective solution of a good mousing cat :p) (or a small terrier but that's more likely to leave gigantic craters in your garden).

Sorry not to be of more use,

Pat

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
chickensista said:
No one has voles???
I have them....dead on my front porch every day! :p I have a hunter-extraordinaire at my place, and what he doesn't get, my Lab/Border Collie mix pup picks up.

If you don't have hired killers like I do, I've heard of using moth balls in the garden to deter rodents and such. Now, I would worry about leaching into your soil when it rains, with that method. Also, if you have dogs, they might try to chew on them(can't imagine why, but my dog puts a tooth on anything) and the box reads they are harmful to animals. Other than that, I've hadn't heard of any tried and true method! Hope you find one and post it on here... :)

chickensista

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you for the replies. Not very encouraging. :p I'm gonna get this bugger one way or another. Its in the bed with the biggest, nicest veggies. Driving me bonkers. And my poor beans - leaves attacked by jap beetles, vole taking out the roots, and now by dog is picking what beans are there and eating them herself! (the extremely food motivated dog) I would adopt a cat in a second if I wasn't so allergic.
Guess I'll try the snap traps with peanut butter. If my dog gets snapped, maybe she'll learn to stop picking the beans! (don't worry, I'm going to try to keep them out of her way-) Just kidding.

Happy Gardening! :throw

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
do voles leave little run tunnels that they move around in like moles? If so you could use a "mole bomb", I imagine that would do it. You have to dig down to find the tunnel, and light the bomb, and set it in the tunnel. Pack a little dirt over the bomb, so the smoke stays inside the tunnels, and dosen't stink up your neighborhood.

You might chase it away by flooding the tunnels, but that dosen't always work, as they can be in several layers. Tried that with moles before to no avail.:rolleyes:

Bugs, weeds, deer, rabbits, now voles.:eek: Can't they grow their own gardens for pete sake..

Latest posts