How to get your Figs on your Fig Tree to Ripen Faster

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I saw this video on youtube about a month ago, and thought I'd try it on my blackjack fig tree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJckql2bOWc

The tree was starting to go into dormancy for the winter, but there were still several dozen small, green figs left on the branches. So on a couple of branches, I removed all the leaves to see what would happen. And guess what - the figs started turning colors!! But, it's just too cool right now for them to grow to full size and fully ripen. I wish I had seen this video a couple of months ago.

Next year, I'll give this a try much earlier & get all those leftover figs!
Jo-Ann

IMG_0109.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I have a brown turkey fig that should bear next year.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I told husband that I wanted a fig tree when we finally get our farm. I don't even know what they taste like... haha

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I told husband that I wanted a fig tree when we finally get our farm. I don't even know what they taste like... haha
Folks either love or hate figs! I grew up with them & remember eating them straight from the tree. My Mom made the most delicious fig preserves & I continue her tradition.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Italian grandfather had a fig tree in NY. He was really to far north for the tree, every fall he would trim it down and then wrap in burlap for winter. I also ate them right off the tree, boy where they good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
My Italian grandfather had a fig tree in NY. He was really to far north for the tree, every fall he would trim it down and then wrap in burlap for winter. I also ate them right off the tree, boy where they good.
That's reassuring to know, that it worked for your grandfather, being that you are much farther north than me. Mine is in a large planter right now, in the corner of my basement. If I had known sooner, I would have planted it outside last year. I had to put a clear plastic trash bag around mine to keep the woodstove from drying it out, but it's doing well so far. I was told to give it one cup of water a month until I bring it out in the spring.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep trying to find some figs to try to see if I even like them before I go ahead and plant a tree, but I've not been able to find any. Do they taste anything like fig newton's? I love those things!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Journey I don't know what type it was, i am sure some can take more cold then others. Make sure yours can take cold.
The brown turkey figs are supposed to be hardiest for the north. I saw a video once about how to wrap them up. Seems like a lot of trouble, but it should be worth it when I get those first yummy figs. I guess the winter wind is supposed to be the hardest on them, so I'll have to be very careful where I decide to set it.

Latest posts