How to kill 4 o'clocks

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am being over run by 4 o'clocks. Any advice on how to kill them?? They are a headache. The original owner of the house had them Everywhere. I mean Everywhere!! The are hard to kill. Any advice???

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Put an ad on Craigslist for folks to come dig, dig, dig. And cut them this year before they go to seed, for as you know, they reseed like crazy. Lots of folks want them because of the heavenly fragrance. But you're right; they do take over.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom has had the same problem. I agree with elf, tell people they can have them if they want to come dig them! :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this plant also called Primrose?? If so, it not only reseeds, it spreads through it's root system... If you hack off the flowers before it goes to seed, you should cut down on the spreading.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think four oclocks have a rhizome. If I'm not mistaken they spread only by seed.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They have a bunch of runner roots. They are horrible!!!

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A lady brought me some roots to identify and keep from a house she'd just bought. They were 4 o'clock roots the size of huge sweet potatoes. I remember that one root stuck out of a 3 gallon pot. Those turned out to be 2 toned- yellow striated with magenta - quite striking! My others are magenta with white streaks and some solid magenta ones. Those bloom first. What colors do you have?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd love to see picture because my four o'clocks are an annual that spreads by seed only. Sounds like there are 2 plants that go by same name.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I'd love to see picture because my four o'clocks are an annual that spreads by seed only. Sounds like there are 2 plants that go by same name.
I agree with seedcorn, all the 4 o'clocks I have seen spreads by seed only..

Chris

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mine have that big sweet potato root, but only spread by seed that I've noticed.

Latest posts