How To: Make seed pots

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok lets face it. I am cheap. I will find a way to get something done before I drop the coin. I mean really how much are seed pots? :lol:

Here is how I make them.

You need a cardboard tube. Paper towel, toilet paper, it doesn't matter. And a pair of scissors.
6693_seed_pots_001.jpg

Cut it in to desired length.
6693_seed_pots_002.jpg

Flatten one end so you can cut a slit into it.
6693_seed_pots_004.jpg
6693_seed_pots_005.jpg
cut slit. Repeat with same end but oppisite side. You should have 4 slits in one side.

Fold each section down.
6693_seed_pots_008.jpg
6693_seed_pots_009.jpg
6693_seed_pots_010.jpg
6693_seed_pots_011.jpg

Tuck last fold in like a box.

Flip over and fill.
6693_seed_pots_012.jpg
6693_seed_pots_013.jpg

There you go. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look perfect- have you used them before? I am wondering how they hold up, with watering...Great reusing and recycling!!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They hold up fairly well. I set them all in tray an if needed move the whole tray. By the time transplanting comes they tear off easily and the cardboard goes in the compost pile.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
O MY GOSH--the skinflint in me is INTERESTED!!! I am definitely gonna try this--awesome idea and even awesomer how-to pictures. I like this A LOT better than making them from newspaper because the roots are going to find their way through the cardboard folds at the bottom pretty easily.
REALLY nice of you to share. :ya

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried this, this year. I used toilet rolls and cut them in half. On the ones that I've used, I didn't seal the bottoms off, at all. I found that after I had watered the mix a couple of times or so, that by the time the seeds sprouted, I could move the open bottom pots without losing the mix.....it just stayed "stuck" in the cylinders.
I started beets and broccoli in them and have just, yesterday, planted them in the garden.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did this with my afterschool group last year. They were just planting 1 or 2 pots, and the only problem we had with it was that they didn't sit up very straight. Other than that, it was a great way to reuse something that would end up in the trash/recycling.

Planting seeds was such a hit, we're going to do it this year, but I'm having everyone I know save yogurt cups & the like for pots. :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, saving this post it my favorites for next year. I already have my stuff for this year and I'll be saving those cardboard holders. Thanks:thumbsup

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a good idea! I'd think about trying that, but then my little hamster colony would be upset that I took away all their chew toy tunnel material.

Latest posts