How to propagate a QUINCE?

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Or a Viburnum? I've tried to take cuttings at different times of the year, but NO luck. :( Help!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's all I know about propagating woody plants: do it in Spring, and take only from the newest, freshest growth. The newest growth is bursting with cells that are programmed to grow, grow, grow. Use vermiculite or similar, and keep it moist, but not soggy. Use rooting powder, make a little greenhouse for it using a clear plastic bag, and keep it out of direct sun (but warm) while it is thinking about whether to put roots out or not.

That's all book and class knowledge, not my own experience. I'm not brave enough to try to propagate anything. Best of luck!

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What kind of Viburnum would you like to propagate?
Most are easy to root.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well, I LOVE Viburnums, so........

All of them! I'll have to look to see what I have.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that the so-called highbush cranberries, Viburnum opulus and, er, pooh, whatever the american one is called, root very readily by layering. Sometimes mine even do it on their own. I suspect my nannyberry wil too when it gets bigger.

(to layer, choose a longish whippy branch, bend it down to soil level, wound its bark a bit there, pile a little soil over it and put a rock on to keep it bent down. Make sure the growing end of the branch, with a few leaves but don't make it too long, is sticking out on the other side of the dirt and rock - it may be laying down but that is fine. Now the hard part: do not trip over it or rip it up while weeding until it has formed good roots, possibly in fall if you started at leaf-out and are in a good growing area, otherwise the next year. No harm leaving it longer. To transplant just sever from parent plant. Apologies if you know all this already ;))

Never tried it with other viburnums - the nicest ornamental and fragrant ones aren't really hardy here, sigh! - but I expect at least many of them would behave similarly.

Quince, if you mean REAL quince, is practically an apple or pear so I would think seed, or grafting if you feel ambitious, would be the way to go. Ornamental quinces I dunno, but my parent's big flowering quince suckers so, um, profusely (they use a less polite word <g>) that I can't imagine doing anything more than get out the shovel :p

Good luck,

Pat

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I know that the so-called highbush cranberries, Viburnum opulus and, er, pooh, whatever the american one is called, root very readily by layering. Sometimes mine even do it on their own. I suspect my nannyberry wil too when it gets bigger.

(to layer, choose a longish whippy branch, bend it down to soil level, wound its bark a bit there, pile a little soil over it and put a rock on to keep it bent down. Make sure the growing end of the branch, with a few leaves but don't make it too long, is sticking out on the other side of the dirt and rock - it may be laying down but that is fine. Now the hard part: do not trip over it or rip it up while weeding until it has formed good roots, possibly in fall if you started at leaf-out and are in a good growing area, otherwise the next year. No harm leaving it longer. To transplant just sever from parent plant. Apologies if you know all this already ;)

Never tried it with other viburnums - the nicest ornamental and fragrant ones aren't really hardy here, sigh! - but I expect at least many of them would behave similarly.

Quince, if you mean REAL quince, is practically an apple or pear so I would think seed, or grafting if you feel ambitious, would be the way to go. Ornamental quinces I dunno, but my parent's big flowering quince suckers so, um, profusely (they use a less polite word <g>) that I can't imagine doing anything more than get out the shovel :p

Good luck,

Pat
Oooooh great idea about the layering! That should work great. If I remember correctly most Viburnums will root easily with cutting taken from soft, green wood. The layering technique would be a lot easier than taking cuttings.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smitty's Farm said:
The layering technique would be a lot easier than taking cuttings.
Ha, not if you're me and keep accidentally ripping up the half-rooted things when you're weeding :p

Pat

vickiemontana

Sprout
Reaction score
:DHi patandchickens. I see you are in USDA zone 4. Swamp and Wind. So am I in Montana USA. Having a heck of a time finding things to grow here. Just moved from California where EVERYTHING grows ALL the time. Can, will you help? We have 10 acres with a swamp near the back end. Lots of water and windy a lot of time. It gets cold -10 winter to 90 summer. Thanks.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vickiemontana said:
:DHi patandchickens. I see you are in USDA zone 4. Swamp and Wind. So am I in Montana USA. Having a heck of a time finding things to grow here. Just moved from California where EVERYTHING grows ALL the time. Can, will you help? We have 10 acres with a swamp near the back end. Lots of water and windy a lot of time. It gets cold -10 winter to 90 summer. Thanks.
Sure, I can tell you what has worked for me, at least. Let me start another thread for it, though, since quinces aren't really on my list :) (well actually I am pretty sure I could grow flowering quince, at least the short japanese ones, right up by the south side of the house...). I'll leave it in the "trees and shrubs" category and give it the heading "for windy northern swampland" <g>, ok?

Pat

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, how'd everyone's Quince cuttings do? Flowering Quince are so pretty!

Latest posts