How to properly store Dahlia tubers for Winter?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, Journey!

The smaller dahlias, like the pom pons, have smaller roots. Anyway, that's what it seems to me. Rusty will know better.

I grew pom pons from seed one year and had a little trouble keeping the roots thru the winter. The next winter, same story. By about the 3rd or 4th year, the pom pons were all gone . . . So, in my book, you did real good with your collarettes :).

The little border dahlias can also be saved thru the winter. But, there I had nearly 100% failure. Dahlias are in storage here for 6 months! It would take better conditions than what I've got for them.

Steve
who has all his dahlias planted in 46F soil . . . must be warmer today. 66F right now - warmest this year :)!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I potted mine and they are coming up nicely in the greenhouse. Of course, I only have a couple. I'll wait a bit before transferring them to the garden. Can't wait to see pics, Steve!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's nice today...but we were in the low 30's at night last week.....too cold here to start planting dahlias...... I'm glad to hear others are getting under way with their tubers and plants.....I envy the people in the warmer areas. I'm hoping to put in about 2,200 plants this year....about 140 varieties in about 1/2 acre area. Hoping to start planting next week. My best to all, Rusty
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_085.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wasn't the photographer.... "the guy"... my best friend was. The shoe in photo belongs to me....that's as close as I am to being a photographer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't try to kid us, Rusty.

That photograph has your finger . . . uh . . . footprints all over it!

d'S'