how to rehydrate zuchini?

firemenlovechicks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Dumb question: Last year I dehydrated ALOT of zuchini..... we like to batter and fry it as a side dish to whatever meal we are eating. The edges come out tough this way... Am I not soaking it long enough? Should I peel the next batch before I dehydrate them or are they just not meant to be fried after rehydrating? We let them soak in cold water for about 4 hours......

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I test-dried a small amount of zucchini (cut up as small cubes), which I added to soup without rehydrating it first. That worked well because the long, low-heat simmering rehydrated and tenderized the skin. I definitely will dehydrate diced zucchini again for this purpose.

Idk.... you might try peeling it. Maybe shred some as a test batch for making fried zucchini fritters instead of fried slices.

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know, but I am planning on drying lots of zucchini this year, and am very interested! Have you tried pouring boiling water over them instead of cold? Then let them sit for the same amount of time?

firemenlovechicks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
I don't know, but I am planning on drying lots of zucchini this year, and am very interested! Have you tried pouring boiling water over them instead of cold? Then let them sit for the same amount of time?
Haven't tried the boiling water over them..... I figured it would cook the squash. I may give it a try and just see..... Thanks for the reply!

Jeff

boyd

Sprout
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
This :)

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you try it, please let us know! I was wondering if it would cook the squash also...

Latest posts