How To Season Your Cast Iron Skillet

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several cast iron skillets and they really are the best. They cost nothing when compared to the constant price of buying Teflon coated pans or the fear of not throwing them away soon enough as the Teflon peals away (i heard it causes Alzheimers).

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anybody use the cast iron pans on a glass cook top. I was just scrubbing out the pans to prepare for re seasoning. DW came in and told me she would not use them on her glass top, just for camping. Does anyone use cast on a glass top? Think it would damage it ?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the smoke is a concern you can always fire up your grill (assuming you have a gas one with a lid) and do it outside. Mine will get up to 450+ degrees with all burners going. The last time I seasoned one we had some pure coconut 'lard' on hand and I used that. As I remember it tolerated high heat very well.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got my sister's poorly seasoned cast iron pan. With just one meal of fried chicken, it frys like a dream now, smooth black and no sticking.

I have a glass cook top. I set it down gently and "square it up" and do not slide it while on the cook top. It has done fine. I'm just really careful. My pan is HEAVY, and could easily break glass. The pan is more than 88 years old. She inherited from her great-aunt-in-law.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hangin, Thanks I was hoping we could still use it with the glass top. Most of our iron is Grizwald It is super old.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
Does anybody use the cast iron pans on a glass cook top. I was just scrubbing out the pans to prepare for re seasoning. DW came in and told me she would not use them on her glass top, just for camping. Does anyone use cast on a glass top? Think it would damage it ?
I use mine on the flat top stoves and it is fine. I don't think it would scratch any more than any other heavy pot.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
Collector said:
I use mine on the flat top stoves and it is fine. I don't think it would scratch any more than any other heavy pot.
The problem isn't scratching. It is the concentration of heat with no place to vent which can overheat the top at that spot and deteriorate it. It can easily be solved by getting one of the wire grates sold in Asian markets for grilling fish over charcoal and putting it under the skillet or cast iron pot. That gives the heat a place to escape. The same should be done with pressure canners.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
jojo54 said:
Collector said:
The problem isn't scratching. It is the concentration of heat with no place to vent which can overheat the top at that spot and deteriorate it. It can easily be solved by getting one of the wire grates sold in Asian markets for grilling fish over charcoal and putting it under the skillet or cast iron pot. That gives the heat a place to escape. The same should be done with pressure canners.
hoodat I was wondering about something like that . Wondering if it would work, think I will try it . T/Y.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WARNING - Old refrigerator wire shelves look as though they would be ideal for that but don't use them there or on the BBQ. They have a cadmium coating to keep them from rusting and cadmium puts off a poisonous gas when exposed to high temeratures.

Latest posts