How were you abused as a kid?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, Dad was youngest who got into everything he could. Way his family tell it lucky to be alive. Grew up in small town where everyone knew everyone, cousins lived in town as well. So.....

Dad knew what I was going to do before I knew, stopped it.
Town people either kept you from doing it or ratted you out.
Cousins would--you know those girls love to get older boy cousin in trouble--rat you out and giggle.
To make matters worse, Dad (supported by Mom) believed in corporal punishment.

So what's your story?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Abuse?

Sounds like you might have had it coming, Seedcorn . . . Certainly, there were rules. If rules were broken there were known consequences.

Something my Dad said he would never do was punish me while he was angry. I think he "evolved" into that - probably as a result of thinking about Proper Parenting. We all need some "standards" and I think that was just Dad trying to apply some to himself. I'm not sure if that was so kind for kids.

I used to avoid him after I was caught doing something wrong. About the time I thought he might have forgotten -- then, I got the belt! By that time, I'd forgotten what it was for . . . sniff.

Mom's punishment was swift and fairly mild, even if a "keen switch" was involved. I worried more about disappointing her and hurting her feelings.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I was just misunderstood.....

I made mistake when Mom was trying to punish me with yardstick, it broke, I laughed. Wrong!!!! She never said a word. When Dad came home, he was informed. He never said a word.

I did get to experience his belt--it didn't break and I didn't laugh. But I do smile now when I think of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it is no good to be misunderstood . . . if you really were attempting to do the right thing and the situation just deteriorated. Color me suspicious, tho' . . .

I tried a couple of different approaches with Mom. She would be angry and punishment was coming! "Go out and get a keen switch." She would tell me.

So, I'd get a little wimpy thing - she'd send me back for another. By now, I'm really, really sorry I did whatever I'd done to have gotten myself into this! Once, I tried a different tack, I got a big heavy stick. She spanked me with it anyway . . !

I laugh about that now but I think we had a pretty good relationship. I sure disappointed her now and then and it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about that.

steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
For me, Dad was youngest who got into everything he could. Way his family tell it lucky to be alive. Grew up in small town where everyone knew everyone, cousins lived in town as well. So.....

Dad knew what I was going to do before I knew, stopped it.
Town people either kept you from doing it or ratted you out.
Cousins would--you know those girls love to get older boy cousin in trouble--rat you out and giggle.
To make matters worse, Dad (supported by Mom) believed in corporal punishment.

So what's your story?
DITTO :D the town I grew up in was only 5 square blocks. Everyone knew everyone and everyone's business! The same town is now a BIG 6.000. Sad to watch it change over the years. Dad rarely spanked (He did not have too.) We simply did not want to disapoint him. Mom just scolded while hanging onto your ears, us kids used to think we would have rabbit ears by the time we got out of our teens. :rolleyes:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our family if any of us did something wrong and we fessed up it was to our room for a chewing out. Woe be unto us though if we lied about it!

Dad you see had a RAZOR STRAP.

Now, a rear end spanking with a razor strap SOUNDS terrible.

Luckily, it was nowhere near as bad as it sounds. Something about the double construction of it, and not being very long actually made it not near as bad as a belt. Or, maybe he just didn't use it in a way to do real hurt.

But, it was the RAZOR STRAP. An excellent sounding reason to 'fess up.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So did that make us better? Raising our children, they probably thought the same thing as neighbors and friends kept us informed on important things. Instead of belt, I gave them additional chores or made them run laps around house. Youngest daughter her g'father's double would count by 2's or 3. Brother would rat her out. After a few laps, they stopped the fighting.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure that abuse is a good word for the way I was raised. But I sure did my share of butt whoopins. Both my mother and father were not opposed to spankings. Mom would hug us afterwards, but not dad.

One time when I (I'm the guilty party in every spanking I ever got) said something not-so-nice to my mom she started to whip me with a fly swatter. Being the smartellic that I must have been at 12 she started hitting me and the little screen head flew off and she kept hitting the backs of my legs with just the coat hanger metal part. I had red stripes up and down the backs of my legs for two days.

One time I took a nice chrome pipe from my dad's supplies in the cellar. It was a new piece of tube that connects the water supply valve to the bottom of the toilet tank. In my mind it was just perfect to use as a pea shooter (remember them?) and I stole a 1 lb. bag of Pinto beans from our cupboard to shoot. Man! I was on cloud nine with my new toy. When dad got home I was excited to show him my accomplishment. When he pulled into the driveway and was getting out of the pickup I shouted 'Hey Dad!' and shot a bean toward him. He looked up and got it right in the eye. He was furious. He came over to me and grabbed the pipe out of my hand and bent it half. He cut his hand on the pipe and then he realized that the pipe was the one he purchased to fix our only potty. He totally lost it at that point. While holding me by the shoulder with one hand he somehow removed his belt and gave me 22 million lashes (It was probably only 4 or 5 but I just new it had to be at least a gazillion). Belt buckle and all.

Abuse? Absolutely not! I deserved all of it. It helped me to realize that actions have consequences and that EVERYTHING COUNTS. My love for my dad did not waver in the least. Sometimes punishment builds character which is something sorely needed these days. To me, timeout is ridiculous and only breeds sissies. Just my thoughts - I don't expect anyone to agree.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was trying to be funny? Sarcastic? Obviously failed for some? Sorry.......:(

Latest posts