How were you abused as a kid?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Haha that sounds about right!

marshallsmyth said:
HPQ!!!

If you would have posted for us to guess what your punishment was as a kid, I for one may have well guessed it!!!

I can visualize it now.... 4 year old you...banging the pots and pans early in the morning...on purpose...just so you can get some more tobasco! ...pretending you don't like it!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My moms words were "Wait until your father gets home" and when he did get home we got the belt and then had to kneel either outside on concrete or in our rooms by our beds - depending on the weather. :p and no, I don't think I was abused.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
My moms words were "Wait until your father gets home" and when he did get home we got the belt and then had to kneel either outside on concrete or in our rooms by our beds - depending on the weather. :p and no, I don't think I was abused.
I got the "Wait till your father gets home" treatment, then Dad had to come home from a hard day of work and spank two kids he wasn't mad at. Maybe he meant it when he said "This hurts me more than it does you"! I never felt abused, either.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually got the hot sauce treatment when I back sassed or made a lot of unnecessary noise (I was a vocal kid :lol: ). I got a spankin' with a wooden spoon when I did something naughty like write my name in permanent marker on the furniture...

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Southern Gardener said:
I got the "Wait till your father gets home" treatment, then Dad had to come home from a hard day of work and spank two kids he wasn't mad at. Maybe he meant it when he said "This hurts me more than it does you"! I never felt abused, either.
:gig you're probably right, so lucky!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
so lucky said:
Southern Gardener said:
:gig you're probably right, so lucky!
my mom didn't need to wait for my dad to get home, she had no problem htting us. If we tryed to run away she would throw her shoes at us. She had the best aim.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The really sad part about abused children is that they don't realize that they are abused. They think that all kids are treated that way. Even worse are the statistics that show, 30% of people who were abused as children will become abusive parents. 14% of all men in prison in the USA were abused as children. 36% of all women in prison were abused as children. Children who experience child abuse & neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime.

Source: http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics

The common excuse for child abuse is, "I have a right to discipline my child."

Yes, you do, but there is a difference between discipline and abuse. My suggestion; Never, never 'discipline' your child in anger.

One more point I'd like to make and than I'll get off my soapbox. Not all abuse is physical. Do not belittle your child. That can scar a child for the rest of his life.

Remember, as the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's a sad commentary that having rules and consequences is now termed "abuse" isn't it? I know the title was tongue-in-cheek, but it caught my eye. There IS a fine line between discipline and abuse, it's true. A whop on the buttocks is a far cry from a beating...and does a lot more good, imo.

When my son was small, I much preferred to talk things over with him, to make him understand why the rules were in place. Once a child is old enough to understand, I think this is a much better method. But there are situations when there simply isn't time to have a discussion, and a swift smack on the bottom is required.

Although the way my mother applied corporal punishment could possibly have been termed "abuse" sometimes, I don't feel I'm a whole lot worse off for it. My grandparents, for the most part, raised me and they were pretty sparing of the rod...but then I wasn't one to get into a lot of trouble either. When I was a bit older the "threat" of disappointing them was much more of a deterrent than the thought of getting a licking. From discussions with them when I was older, I know I did get a few lickings, but I frankly don't remember any, so I reckon I wasn't damaged in any way.

When a child is just whaled on with no explanation or excessively, I do think it's abuse. If the rules are stated and the consequences clearly laid out, the child then has the option to decide whether the infraction is worth the punishment or not. Consistency needs to be the rule, though...otherwise a youngster never knows what's going on.

Latest posts