How Were Your Tomatoes This Year?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bright colors are inspiring, aren't they @catjac1975 ?

Once again, I'm wondering how many days have passed since I have seen the sun ... it was waaay over in the corner of the southwest sky the other afternoon.

I think I'll come back to this thread about 2:30. That's when it began to get dark, yesterday.

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
058.JPG
Sorry I did not come back to this thread sooner, but, thank you for your nice comments everyone. I have a lot, and I mean a lot of tomato pictures from the 2015 garden. My computer has been running slow and I have had a hard time uploading photos. My allotted high speed time has ended for this month sadly, I will see if I can post a few more pics.. Well I was able to post one for now. It took me only 10 minutes..LOl. The tomatoes above are Aunt Ruby's German Green. One of my favorite green when ripe tomatoes. I apologize if I posted this one before. :)

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Such a touching story of your friend in the garden, @barefootgardener. Makes gardening bittersweet, doesn't it?
Beautiful pics of tomatoes. The second picture, with the red, sort of fluted tomatoes--is that the beefsteak?

Lucky, the tomatoes in the second picture are Madame (Marmande) Garnier Rouge. It is a beautiful, red, fluted/ribbed large tomato. The fruit has a perfect balance of flavors, meaty and a bit juicy, productive, and the fruit set early and kept on going all summer into fall. I had over 60 tomatoes on one plant this year. Great for fresh eating or canning. It will be back in my garden again. I acquired the seeds a number of years back from a gentleman that lives in the U.K.

Ginny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Madame (Marmande) Garnier Rouge :)!

Since I started this thread, here is what I said about my yellow/orange tomatoes recently. The location of this tomato rambling wasn't where anyone would have expected it and it should have been here ;):
There are storage veggies and there are storage veggies. I wouldn't have thought Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes would keep well ..!

Of course, I only grew that wonderful tomato through 2 seasons in the garden. The Dagma's Perfection which had more seasons had the early ripening qualities needed. Actually, I thought it was all in the "ripening" stage. I mean, Perfection came right up to maturity, then ripened overnight!

It is absolutely NOT a keeping veggie. Now, I know that all yellow tomatoes are not alike. Earl of Edgecombe yellow was in surprising contrast to Perfection. It's one solid yellow! I wouldn't be surprised if it had good keeping qualities. In fact, I think that was the only way I was able to enjoy Earl of Edgecombe, ripening it on the kitchen counter.

Now, I see in my new Fedco catalog (!!!) that they have a new yellow cherry. The caption is something like, "who says yellow cherries are never good?!" Or, something like that ...

Obviously, they aren't willing to cross the fans of the "golden" cherries like Sungold. However, I was very happy with Yellow Jelly Bean last season. I mean, I was mighty suspicious of that one because Red Jelly Bean didn't amount to much in my garden ... However, the YJB was a strong plant and had tasty fruit

Dagma's Perfection is a soft, tender thing. It is a little difficult to slice but okay. The plant is somewhat tender, as well. If there is wind damage to any plant, it's probably the Perfection. After a good growing season, the plants will be covered with nicely-shaped, medium-sized, green fruit. Almost overnight, they will ripen.

My funny version of Woodle Orange, which finally decided to kick out a plant with orange fruit instead of red, is a little thing. The plants are small, the oblate fruit is small. Obviously, the seed was from a cross with something. The orange genes are recessive and were hidden thru 4 seasons, I think it was. DW really likes the little orange things so I'm not too inclined to order more seed and see if I get the correct size fruit from them. Correct size and early-ripening - it might not be possible to have both.

Marshall's dehybrid Lemon Boy had a good season and a bad season. It makes it hard to commit to more than one plant but that's okay. The Lemon Boy hybrid had a very good season but I still don't like that name ... I know, silly me.

;) Steve

Latest posts