Howdy from New Mexico!

Peep_Show

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all!

Got sick and tired of a lack of garden in Las Vegas, NV, for 10 years and so last summer I bought a farm-ette in New Mexico that had been severely neglected for the two years before I bought it (absentee owner/hatchet-job mow-n-go gardener). Spent most of the summer and winter making the house habitable and now working on the orchard and garden. Husby is VERY green to gardening and I am a very lapsed Master Gardener (oh, like 15 years ago). We're hoping to turn this into a small-scale hobby farm with raising chickens, fruits and vegetables. We've got a huge expanse of lawn from which the coyotes serenade us nightly when not searching for rabbits (which we have an abundance of). We just put in a cider orchard and the bare root trees are making a hearty go of it. Fruit count is 2 peaches, 4 nectarines, 1 cherry, 13 apples, 2 pear, 3 apricot, 2 pecans, a fig bush and a gooseberry bush, plus 54+ roses. We've got three contained rows of the sandiest soil ever, so I know that mega-amending is coming our way along with figuring out a way to fend off the rabbits. (Least fun activity outdoors this summer was falling into a rabbit warren when the earth gave way...It was like quicksand trying to get out as the tunnels were pervasive)
Looking forward to all the helpful hints y'all have as I'm quite rusty on my gardening skills....Last real garden I had was another farm/ranch, but that was terminated (divorce) in 1996.
I love to cook. Husband likes to eat. We adore fresh!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! We are so glad to have you here. Can't wait to hear more about your garden and orchard. Rabbits? GRRRRRR....... :rant

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Peep Show! :frow Sounds like you are embarking on an exciting venture. Your garden challenges are much different than mine. I'll be interested to hear how things come together on your new hobby farm. We love, pics, btw! You must really love roses. My FIL had 67 rose bushes before he died, his pride and joy. Enjoy the forum! :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
How FUN!!! Can't wait to see some pictures of your gardens.

sBo_bouncing2[1].gif

Welcome to TEG!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Peep Show and a sunny welcome to TEG!

Any chance that you are in Las Cruces? Dad grew up in Las Cruces and I have spent some time there.

If you are at much higher elevations in northern New Mexico, that might be a similar climate to where I live now - at a lower elevation, further north.

Every environment presents challenges and opportunities for growing but some locations must be really tough. We do plenty of talking about our gardening environments on TEG. Interesting!

Steve :)

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds exciting and exhausting!
I know you will enjoy the challenge.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup Welcome to TheEasyGarden, Peep_Show! We are pleased to have you join us, share with us, encourage and enlighten us as we attempt to do the same with you. I certainly hope you tend to be LOTS of show and very little peeping (or lurking).

:popWe love pictures here. Some here say that "if you don't have pictures" (of something) "it didn't happen". I tend to walk in faith and believe what is said, but still like photos of other gardens and gardening efforts.:drool

It sounds as if you are in for a lot of fun -:weee- Garden-speak for hard work -:th- and if we can help in any way, please let us know. It is always exciting to add Master Gardeners to the group. Once you get set in and growing there, you'll remember lots of tips and advice that are specific to gardeners in your climate and growing zone that you though you had forgotten in the past 15 (or so) years.:thumbsup

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Peep Show! Sounds like you have put a lot of effort into your land already, congrats! And...good luck with all your plans for this summer! I'm guessing you don't get much actual SUMMERtime growing, is it too hot then?

Latest posts