Howdy from Wyoming

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I live where I can get all the zones in 1 year. It states zone 4, but everything is in the extreme here. Cold as Alaska,dry as Arizona,windy as Chicago(by the way Cheyenne is the windiest city) and as hot as hades.( I know not really a zone).
If you get something to grow you protect it like your first born son. Joined hoping to get some good advice so I can appreciate my own son without compairing him to a tree.LOL

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi and glad your here!

I wish I could help, but where I garden is like night and day to your area. I didn't realize there were that many extremes there.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome

Ask your extention service they will be a big help on what to plant in your area...My maps say I am in zone 5 but believe me I am somewhere between zone 4-3...I use black plastic to warm soil in spring...row covers and plastic wall's of water or milk jugs filled with water or used as a cover with the top off for a lot of protection from cold... soaker hoses for getting the water where I want it to go...you could plant a wind break or build one from shipping pallets or fencing and if it gets too hot you could plant where it gets some shade during the hottest part of the day or build a pergola for some shade...

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome. Last year we went to Cody for a bit. It was January and like crazy cold. I lived in Montana at the time and was amazed at the cold but lack of snow. Kind of counter intuitive to me.

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcomes. Squash is on my list this year. Glad to know that something will grow easily out here.LOL
Wyoming has alot of extremes. I heard last year on an extension broad cast that the sun in winter kills more trees than anything. It is so intense that it causes the cells to become active,than they freeze at night. We can be as low as -50 with wind chill to 108 in the summer. And we've been in a drought for more than 8 years. I would love to be able to complain about having to mow the grass!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We lived in Rock Springs, WY (I always thought that was the windiest city in WY till I visited Cheyenne!) and the neighbors always had tomatoes and lettuce and corn in thier garden...of course the gardens have to be protected from the wind and the scorching sun there, and watered like 4 times a day....