How's everyone's potatoes going?

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are trying sweet potatoes this year, too. So far, just vines. :/ I need to look them up, haven't a clue how to grow them!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far ours are HUGE!!!! Did them in a bucket and piled/mounded the dirt about 4" shy of the top of the pot. They have a good 12-14" of dirt on top of where I planted them. I'm hoping for some decent potatoes. They look green and huge AND they have flowers already. We'll see if they are ready when they're supposed to be ready. So far mother nature has blessed my garden with HUGENESS and lots of rain lately.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine just sprouted! :weee

3540447293_b7b07ae977.jpg

Mahonri

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never been able to grow potatoes here in the desert. I'm going to try again come October and put some in the ground and pray it doesn't get too cold... and then hope for a harvest in March or April!

Planting in January with plans for a June harvest have never produced much here.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We had 24 of the 25 seeds come up. They are about 8" tall right now. Just planted 5 more yesterday and have 10 more to plant in the next few weeks.

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had to come back and re-visit this thread. We had a pretty good frost Saturday night... they are now slightly black. Still mostly green but they got nipped. If I could just keep the straw on them :/

Can a potato plant take frost??

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It took 7 weeks -- but mine finally sprouted. Now they are turning out to be fast growers! We are also expecting a frost tonight.....

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dh is growing taters in 5 gal buckets, he did 1 last year and it worked nicely just dump the bucket and there were the taters :ya

This year he has 5 buckets here they are as they had just sprouted about 2 weeks ago
5713_p1040248.jpg

And here is yesterday's photo of them well they are behind the fence garden
5713_p1040367.jpg

Here is one that I picked yesterday

5713_p1040358.jpg

I picked it while I was getting supper ready, right out of the bag of taters I had in the kitchen :gig

We have some sweet potato vines to go out too. :tools

:happy_flower Karan :D

Latest posts