How's everyone's potatoes going?

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine are flowering here in South Carolina, getting plenty of rain this year which has helped. Looking forward to some earlies, pulled back some of the mulch and and my red potatoes are about the size of a golf ball.:cool:

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine have started flowering. Mine are in tires and I hope they turn out well because I ended up having to add more hay than dirt. I have some really pretty vines.

So it is about 2 weeks after the blooms fall of when it's time to harvest?

jackie

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put in one layer of old pine shavings with chicken manure from last fall... no hay. The rest was all layered with dirt. Do you think they will be alright?! I totally forgot about everyone layering hay! They were growing SO fast I just keep walking outside going "OH WOW" and having to cover them like EVERYDAY I just forgot.

:idunno

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i think my potatoes are going to start flowering soon..they appear to have buds

potatobuds.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh wow that means you'll have potatoes soon.
I'm just trying to give my potato plants plenty of bonemeal and ash from the firepit for good yields, this is my first time using it so can't wait to see the results.

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted some sprout potatoes from the store in a large planter in Feb and moved it outside and put tires over them and continued to build up the soil. The vine started turning yellow a little so I dug those up. I think I should have left them for a few more weeks until the vine died completely because the stem was still developing tiny potatoes. But we got about 10 potatoes the plant and half were the size of a large red potatoe! I hope the rest of mine do this well. They are about a month behind this one plant so I'm looking around the first week in July.

We have had so much rain this May and I'm sure the rain is about to stop and the heat is about to come.

I am SO EXCITED!!!

jackie

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted some taters in my large compost bin in the middle of my garden and plan to just keep filling it with composted manure and such, somewhat like one would do with tires. Hope to yield a good little crop out of this experiment. The potatoes just broke the "ground" and are a lovely deep green color. In a few days I will add another layer of compost on them.

Will plant some more taters in a more traditional style and see just which ones yield the most.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The potatoes just broke the "ground" and are a lovely deep green color.
If the potatoes get green isn't that a sign that their toxic? I've heard that your not suppose to eat that green part in a potato because its toxic.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Beekissed said:
The potatoes just broke the "ground" and are a lovely deep green color.
If the potatoes get green isn't that a sign that their toxic? I've heard that your not suppose to eat that green part in a potato because its toxic.
I think she means the leaves OF the potatoes have just emerged from the ground (aka - compost pile!).

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish mine would begin to flower, I am tired of covering them up! They are about 1 foot under dirt and hay and compost. I think I will stop. My other set of potatoes is younger and I haven't even caged them in yet.

Latest posts