Hulls from Peas

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We went yesterday and picked a bushel of Purple Hull Peas, can I throw then in the compost pile?

LindaN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Are you asking if you can compost the shells or hulls from the peas? Absolutely! It it rots (and pretty much everything rots), then it can be composted!

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
We went yesterday and picked a bushel of Purple Hull Peas, can I throw then in the compost pile?
OR, you can boil them into a purple tea, and use the liquid as "juice" to make a grape-flavored jelly! :eek:

Seriously, I did it, and it's really good!

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I swear you all are tempting me to get some of these just to try the jelly. :p

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninjapoodles said:
nccountrygirl said:
OR, you can boil them into a purple tea, and use the liquid as "juice" to make a grape-flavored jelly! :eek:

Seriously, I did it, and it's really good!
I saw your post when you made your jelly, but I have already made white and concord grape jelly and all the jelly I have made this yr. we will never eat in a million yrs. Quess what's going to be given as Christmas gifts this yr. yup jelly.

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would LOVE to get good grape jelly as a gift! I think that's a great gift. I wish more people would give things they make instead of just some random whatever from the store.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninjapoodles said:
I would LOVE to get good grape jelly as a gift! I think that's a great gift. I wish more people would give things they make instead of just some random whatever from the store.
Great idea Belinda.That would make fer a good subject matter fer a post. Something like.........Show us all what ya made from yer garden that yer gonna give for Christmas gifts this year.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be on the hunt for nice baskets till Christmas. I am going to bake bread and give everyone a loaf of bread and a couple of different kinds of jams and jellies. I am going to lay a nice Christmas hand towel in the bottom of the basket and try and find some cute little spread knives, put the basket in those big cellophane things and tie it with a pretty Christmas bow. That will be their gift. How does that sound?

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Thanks, I will be on the hunt for nice baskets till Christmas. I am going to bake bread and give everyone a loaf of bread and a couple of different kinds of jams and jellies. I am going to lay a nice Christmas hand towel in the bottom of the basket and try and find some cute little spread knives, put the basket in those big cellophane things and tie it with a pretty Christmas bow. That will be their gift. How does that sound?
That sounds wonderful! Honestly, I'd be tickled pink.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do more things like pumpkin bread and Christmas cookies, but may go with your idea this year.

Usually I just buy white lunch sacks and the kids decorate them. IME if you are giving something yummy to eat, people are happy with any packaging.

Latest posts