Hummingbird & flowers

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going through some old pictures and found some of a wire sculpture that I did a couple of years ago. I gave it to a friend - who moved shortly after that - so I don't know how it held up to weather. I'm thinking about making a couple of more. This was really cool because it was a big arc with flowers on one side and the hummer on the other. The slightest breeze made the bird and the big flower bob together and apart. Worked out much better than I though it would.

This is it all finished:
8721_dscf0613.jpg

8721_dscf0611.jpg

These were a little earlier - I thought it looked a little droopy so I added a little more strength to the top and made it much rounder. Also added a few buds adn leaves on the bird's side:
8721_bird.jpg

8721_bird_w_flash.jpg

8721_flower.jpg

A little hard to see with the grass behind ... but shows the colors on the bird:
8721_dscf0608.jpg

8721_dscf0606.jpg

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very Fun. you could really get creative with all the colored wires out there now! You can use teh heavy gauge for the frame and colored jewelry wire for effect. Not sure how those wires hold up.

Generally though anything kept in shadier areas keeps its color longer and actually shows better.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very cool! I work with wire every day. I don't have to twist it up on purpose to make interesting designs...I do it by accident all the time :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
3rd cousin Alexander Sandy Calder would have really loved your metal sculptures!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well thanks yall! :D I had forgotten all about it until I peeked into that 'misc picts' folder.

Monty - I know what you mean. Whenever I'm working on the fences I almost always end up with a huge butterfly when the wire gets into a couple of big interlocking loops... usually with a loop around and arm or a leg... lol.

Thistlebloom - I've only done one other (on purpose). I've got a glut of wire coat hangers around the house and decided to make a 'portrait' of my horse one day out of them. I have a terrible video of it but I have no idea how to post. Its neck is sort of a 'spring' so her head nods and bends when the wind gives it a push.

April - That was actually what I was thinking. Instead of stringing all those beads, I could just weave the colored wire to highlight different things. Maybe I'll make a flock of wire chickens to put out by the mailbox. LOL

Marshall - Is A. Calder REALLY your cousin??? The 'frame' is heavy gauge electric fence wire (pasture fence); the bird is much smaller gauge (dog fence). The flowers are one long piece of florist's wire each - first a stem, then 5 small petals, 5 more bigger, 5 more.. until it's the size I want. The whole thing is just bent and wrapped and pinched with pliers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bet you could make and sell those! Lots of cool little things like that on Etsy, bet it would do well. I think its adorable!

Latest posts