Hummingbird story...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled myself out of the garden, before it was dark last night. (I admit it, I am addicted to "So You Think You Can Dance".) I am sitting in the living room- on the second story of my house. Something catches my eye-- a hummingbird is hovering right outside the window- looking in!!!! Do you think he was wondering where the crazy garden lady was??

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
He was probably trying to tell you his feeder was empty and this was no time to sit down on the job! :lol: Did you get that creepy feeling that you were being watched?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had two of them do that last year. Very strange.

Do you guys make your own nectar for your hummer feeders? I always do and I use 2 cups of water and one cup of sugar. I bring the solution to a full boil to sanitize it for my little birdy buddies. Can everyone share their recipe for the sugar water? Thanks.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
We had two of them do that last year. Very strange.

Do you guys make your own nectar for your hummer feeders? I always do and I use 2 cups of water and one cup of sugar. I bring the solution to a full boil to sanitize it for my little birdy buddies. Can everyone share their recipe for the sugar water? Thanks.
I use a 1 part (unbleached cane) sugar to 4 parts water solution. I remember reading somewhere not to make it more concentrated than that but I don't remember why. Also no need to add red dye, it can cause tumors on the tongue and beak.
I also bring mine to a boil since I use tap water.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe I'm making mine too sugary. I have heard that too much sugar can cause problems but I cannot remember why either. And I never color mine. I used to put only two or three drops of green, or blue, or yellow in the mix but I don't any more.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The recipe I have always used is 2 cups water, 1/2 cup sugar...no coloring.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa...I think hummingbirds are very friendly and know us. They seem to always want to know what we are doing. Every time I water there is always a hummingbird hovering by. I always make sure I make an arc with the water so he can bath on the perimiters of it. One time there was a hummingbird by my fountain and I stuck my finger out and he pecked at it several times! This has been the only time I've been able to touch one though I'm always trying!

Mary

Latest posts