Hummingbirds

new2gardening

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of plants/flowers that can be planted in S FL to attract hummingbirds?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would Google 'hummingbird gardens'.
I have a lot of hummers around here, I put out sugar water for them ( 1 part sugar - 4 parts water. Bring water to a boil and then remove from heat and add sugar. Keep in fridge. It is only good in the feeder for 2-3 days.)

They seem to love a wide variety of flowers especially the sages! They seem to visit all of my flowers, but the quickest way to get them to come visit you is to put out a feeder.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hummingbirds are really attracted by the color red. I just put up three baskets of red petunias, cost me a whole $3 for six plants and that's all it took. Of course, I do keep my hummingbird feeders filled too. I'm sure that where you are you'll get to see so many more prettier hummers than I get to see up in the PNW.

new2gardening

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We are in South Florida. I'm hoping if I plant flowers that they like and place out a feeder, they will come.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted 4 types of petunia this year, Blurose. The shell pink etc. I put in wine barrels, and planters, but the reds I hung, and the hummingbirds love having them there. I, too, have feeders, but the flowers were a nice touch. :)

Hmmmm, I have nicotiana which looks great, and no hummers ever go to it! It is catching white flies, though! :)

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I guess my Petunias are not sweet enough :lol:
I have Trailing Petunias hanging all around my deck but the "jewels" go straight to the feeders. I have four feeders on my Redbud Tree and I have counted 17 birds at one time.

Latest posts