Hurricane Harvey

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have been watching CNN since we got up, I haven't traveled much in my life but I have been to Houston. It's so hard to watch all that devastation, it's heart wrenching, and it's not over yet. I'm appealing to everyone to donate what they can even if it's only one dollar, every little bit counts. Just make sure what you donate goes to a bonafide agency. We usually donate through the Red Cross stipulating exactly where our donation is to go. Bay hope you and yours are safe.

Thanks,
Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an organization in KY where 90+% of $$$$ goes to disasters. I believe there are only 3 paid employees and they don't make a lot. We have been donating to them. They help in all states-although most are east of Mississippi-although I'm comfortable they will be in Texas after water goes down.

I'm skeptical of all charities once I find out how much their brass skims off of top. Including Red Cross (I donate blood).

I know soldiers who you never mention USO or Red Cross to as the brass in military got catered to while grunts never saw them.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I too am suspicious of charities, looking at the TV adds asking for help cost more than a few pennies. Sometimes I wonder if they are just a make work to pay their salaries. How much goes to the victims, I'm thinking not much.
It's just so heart wrenching to watch what's happening in Texas right now. When the twin towers were hit we watched in absolute horror. Our local fire department had their men standing in front of malls, a boot outstretched hoping for donations, I know these got into the right hands. One feels so helpless in situations like this, I don't know of another agency other than the Red Cross up here that will be asking for donations to help with this disaster.
We live in an earthquake zone, we know the big one is coming just don't know when. We do have smaller ones that haven't done much damage, fingers crossed these small ones are releasing the pressure.

Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got this from the Cattle Today forum. It has links where you can donate to help the ranchers affected by hurricane Harvey. The ranchers will need to rebuild fencing, they have lost equipment, their homes or damage to their homes, they have lost cattle. Those lucky enough to still have their cattle will have to feed them. Their hay fields are water logged. Their hay is wet of washed away. Cows are hungry now. 100% of the money donated goes to the ranchers. One of our members on BYH is a member of the CT forum and had to evacuate by boat, leaving his cattle. By some miracle, most of them survived and he is buying feed for them. He certainly isn't the only rancher that faces hungry cattle.

http://app.tscra.org/cattle-raisers-establish-fund-to-help-ranchers-affected-by-harvey/

http://app.tscra.org/harvey-update-if-you-need-help-or-want-to-help/

Another worthy organization to donate to is Texas Baptist Men. I am not Baptist, and not pushing any religion, but I personally have known men that were volunteers for TBM and they do a lot of good work.

http://www.texasbaptistmen.org/

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are just waiting for our bank to get things set up with the Red Cross then we and many others up here will be donating. This disaster is going to take years to clean up and get back to normal, that is if it ever does.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
After what I saw with Katrina it will be years and it will be a new normal, some things will permanently change. It's horrible right now and it will be for a while. There are still plenty of emergencies in a lot of different ways. That's a lot of death, destruction, and disruption.

But people are pretty resilient. With a lot of hard work and some help most will recover and do OK. Some won't, there will be some really rotten individual stories, but I have a lot of faith in humans as a whole. They will come back, but the nightmare is not anywhere close to over for a whole lot of people.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister got 8 feet of water in her house. I guess the good news is that she has 9 foot ceilings and won't have to rip the ceiling down. Bricks were wash off the outside walls, they are going back with hardiboard. Her house got a lot of damage. They were rescued from their 2nd story in the middle of the night, slid down the roof into a boat, were taken to one of those big military trucks with their 7 little dogs (tied together with a rope by the rescuers) and taken to a dry spot where they called their son to come get them. She told me last night that she was going home and stay upstairs. She hit the ground running, she called a contractor the next day after being rescued and he is already working in the house. They also lost a 1980-ish Rolls Royce, one of their business box trucks and their personal Ford F250 truck.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister got 8 feet of water in her house. I guess the good news is that she has 9 foot ceilings and won't have to rip the ceiling down. Bricks were wash off the outside walls, they are going back with hardiboard. Her house got a lot of damage. They were rescued from their 2nd story in the middle of the night, slid down the roof into a boat, were taken to one of those big military trucks with their 7 little dogs (tied together with a rope by the rescuers) and taken to a dry spot where they called their son to come get them. She told me last night that she was going home and stay upstairs. She hit the ground running, she called a contractor the next day after being rescued and he is already working in the house. They also lost a 1980-ish Rolls Royce, one of their business box trucks and their personal Ford F250 truck.
Thank goodness there were no lives lost for them. Also good for them taking the bull by the horns and getting the construction going.