Hydrangea Rooting Question

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I scratched a branch on my violet lace hydrangea and buried it. It's actually taken root quite well and I cut the branch away from the mother plant today.

My question is about how long, and when should I dig it up and move it a pot or another place in my yard?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's such a good way to propagate hydrangeas V! Give it a couple of weeks to be on it's own roots before you lift and repot.

I had a beautiful oakleaf hydrangea that succumbed to a ferocious winter, and I wish I had started a few babies to insure that at least one lived.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
That's such a good way to propagate hydrangeas V! Give it a couple of weeks to be on it's own roots before you lift and repot.

I had a beautiful oakleaf hydrangea that succumbed to a ferocious winter, and I wish I had started a few babies to insure that at least one lived.
That sounds perfect!

Sorry you lost your lovely Hy. I've never seen one before, I should go look it up.

Since this worked so well, I'm going to bury a couple more branches and see if they take this year too. You made me realize how lost I could be if I lost one of the 2 I have now. :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know you could do this... very interesting. I will have to try it, come spring! Which by the way, is 63 days away!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't know hydrangeas could be propagated that way. I need to give this a try with my hydrangea. Couldn't you also divide the plant also to make more plants?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
I didn't know hydrangeas could be propagated that way. I need to give this a try with my hydrangea. Couldn't you also divide the plant also to make more plants?
I don't think you could successfully divide a hydrangea, it has such a woody stem... but I've never tried, so maybe it would work.
You can be the guinea pig GT! Let us know if it's possible :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I don't think you could successfully divide a hydrangea, it has such a woody stem... but I've never tried, so maybe it would work.
You can be the guinea pig GT! Let us know if it's possible :D
I'll definitely give it a try in the Spring. Theirs a really nice pink and white hydrangea in the garden that I want to make more plants out of. No problem being the guinea pig thistle! :lol:

Latest posts