I’m back!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sure thing! Like I mentioned, the garden is under construction, and my cattle panel trellis are not yet attached and a little off centered! I picked up 10’x3’ roofing panels and hubby helped split them lengthwise into thirds
That looks amazing!
Are those grapes in the back? Yours?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nice looking garden prep. Guess we gardeners are All engineers at heart!
Here is my building project from 2021 and I have left it up for 2022. Took me ~25 hrs to build 5 fences with chicken wire, then I decided chicken wire wasn't strong enough for tomatoes. :rant
Anyway,
Post#186

Last edited:

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure thing! Like I mentioned, the garden is under construction, and my cattle panel trellis are not yet attached and a little off centered! I picked up 10’x3’ roofing panels and hubby helped split them lengthwise into thirds
That looks amazing!
Are those grapes in the back? Yours?
Thanks!!! Yep, grapes in the back, but no, not mine. The grapes get sold to well known wineries each year though!

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice looking garden prep. Guess we gardeners are All engineers at heart!
Here is my building project from 2021 and I have left it up for 2022. Took me ~25 hrs to build 4 fences with chicken wire, then I decided chicken wire wasn't strong enough for tomatoes. :rant
Anyway,
Post#186
Oh that looks beautiful! I am such a sucker for pretty veggie gardens, lol! I have to agree, we are all engineers and always working! The pics I put up are the back 1/3 of my garden, I have a little greenhouse, potting bench and small storage shed, along with a little pond(still under construction and mainly a lizard trap right now) and table to sit at. Still have tons of beds to build and plan on putting in a perennial vegetable and berry section in the next few days!

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally finished the last of my 4’x20’ beds! Though the last two I made a little smaller than 4’ wide so the hardware cloth is past the walls! Now onto the smaller beds and the perennial beds!!
Anyone have favorites? I plan on asparagus, rhubarb and berries, but would love some suggestions!

Attachments

• 6A5E6789-12C0-48D3-B956-863410CF8AA0.jpeg
    6A5E6789-12C0-48D3-B956-863410CF8AA0.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 79
  • F23F3C20-ED07-430F-9E78-7E8544EB0A0B.jpeg
    F23F3C20-ED07-430F-9E78-7E8544EB0A0B.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 74

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally finished the last of my 4’x20’ beds! Though the last two I made a little smaller than 4’ wide so the hardware cloth is past the walls! Now onto the smaller beds and the perennial beds!!
Anyone have favorites? I plan on asparagus, rhubarb and berries, but would love some suggestions!

what do you like to eat that you haven't planted yet that will survive your conditions?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
From my garden, your garden is far to the south, Holachicka. I should only be allowed the latitude of opinions ;).

I'd just like to ramble a little about brambles, thinking that they might be included in your ideas about fruit. Raspberries are a fairly easy choice for many gardeners. Here's a caution about having them with other fruit.

It's probably best - not to. Separation. I have experience being beside 3 different neighbors who have raspberries as well as having a few plants in my own backyard. One neighbor did indeed have them by themselves. The problem there was they reproduce from roots. Suckers completely closed off his orderly rows because he wasn't careful about keeping them within the trellises.

Other neighbors had grapes and raspberries near each other. I didn't see their original planting but it became a jungle 😯! They once came in and cut every raspberry to the ground and carefully pruned back the grapes. I don't think that they gained a single season of comfortable access to the grapes.

Finally, I had 20 years watching blackberry vines and raspberries coexist. Conclusion -- they don't. Blackberries have limited value here because they ripen fairly late. They sometimes do not have enough time. The plants themselves have trouble surviving the winters. Nevertheless, those nice, thornless plants bullied the raspberries right out of their area.

It was remarkable to see as it progressed. The neighbor gained very little. The older blackberries died at one end of the trellis while new canes continued to squeeze out the raspberries at the other.

Common to each of these neighbors was neglecting their brambles. Understand that they probably didn't start off that way but within a few years: Things got Outta Hand ;).

Steve

Latest posts