[i]Almost[/i] from the Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20170507_093322.jpg
Bok choy from under the hoophouse plastic ..

. in the garden beds.

:) Steve

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Indeed they look great. I saw a recipe recently for a salad with bok choy. Steve does it take cool weather to grow it. I might try growing it in August. I get a good price for baby bok choy at the Asian store sometimes but I bet it's better fresh like leaf lettuce from the garden so tender and unlike the store bought.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years Ago - It was important for me to visit an Asian market to buy the smaller, quicker variety of bok choy. What was available at a soopermarket and what I was thinking was the same as I could get at a favorite Chinese restaurant, turned out to be much larger and more cabbage-like and coarse.

@lcertuche , they do really appreciate cool weather. However, they are quick! If bok choy can be harvested before it's in bloom, it can be enjoyed.

There was some slug damage, Mary. They got a sprinkle of bait before the flats of tomato plants went back in across the center path. About one more day and I'll have to pull the flats out again to install a sprinkler and melt that bait into fertilizer. Hopefully, the slugs will have had their fill of it.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may take the hoophouse down today. We have enjoyed a regular supply of bok choy, broccoli raab, mustard greens, and Siberian kale from it but many of those plants have bolted. It remains a temporary home for some potted peppers. I don't know if I'm making another commitment to growing peppers that way, or not. The yard here at home might just be too shady for peppers and I was disappointed the last time I kept them in containers here rather than moving all of them out to the open garden.

Temperatures both encourage and discourage me in taking off the plastic film. It was 95°f on Wednesday and 37° in the big veggie garden this morning! In between, it's been cloudy, sprinkling and windy. You can bet that the peppers I've got in that hoophouse are much happier than the scrawny, shivering ones that are out in the garden!

Weather forecast is a bit more encouraging for this week with pleasant, springtime conditions.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look delicious! Sure wish I had something to pick, but even the lettuce isn't really producing yet.

Latest posts