I Always Wonder About Selling Japanese Maples

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a very wealthy customer tell me when he went on vacation, for an entire summer, his $10,000 red maple had been stolen from his yard. He thought it was probably his gardener.
As in someone brought a tree spade in and took a mature tree? WTF?!?!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
As in someone brought a tree spade in and took a mature tree? WTF?!?!
I don't know the details. Perhaps it was a tree planted when mature and easier to remove. He said he paid ten thousand for it so it likely was a big specimen. He blamed his landscaper figuring who else could have removed it without anyone noticing anything amiss. Or perhaps he was just a blowhard. Afterwards he tried to negotiate a lower price for a collection of my best daylilies.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know the details. Perhaps it was a tree planted when mature and easier to remove. He said he paid ten thousand for it so it likely was a big specimen. He blamed his landscaper figuring who else could have removed it without anyone noticing anything amiss. Or perhaps he was just a blowhard. Afterwards he tried to negotiate a lower price for a collection of my best daylilies.
Haha. Always odd when someone with lots of cash tries to knock a price down.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha. Always odd when someone with lots of cash tries to knock a price down.
It is a game to them. Never before and never since have I done this. But I started to get really pissed off with his braggadocious behavior as he selected plants and I told him the prices. And he kept talking about negotiating the cost. So the ones he wanted went up in price as I priced them out to him. I gave him 1 free plant in the end. It is customary at a daylily farm to give a plant for a big purchase. But I always offer lower prices as people select more. I was so offended that my work was less valuable in his eyes then the work the did to gain great wealth. Don't piss off the lady of the farm.

Latest posts