I Am A Seed Hoarder

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never heard of goardcorn, what’s is it used for. And at those prices I would produce as much seed as possible.
I read about Texas Gourdseed corn and have been looking for seed for several years. It is used for cornmeal and making tortillas, it is a white corn. There is a brewery in Houston that uses Texas Gourdseed corn for Bourbon.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you mean Gourdseed corn. And it's used for the exact same thing as any other grinding corn. It's just means a corn whose kernels are wide and flat, with a linear to triangular shape. Most Corn belt corns are part gourdseed. (the story is that the corn belt got started when a farmer in the Middle states lost some of his Gourdseed population (which was at the time the corn of choice in the South, and, his supplier being out of more, he filled in with a Northern flint.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read about Texas Gourdseed corn and have been looking for seed for several years. It is used for cornmeal and making tortillas, it is a white corn. There is a brewery in Houston that uses Texas Gourdseed corn for Bourbon.

Native Seed SEARCH used to carry something they claimed was Texas Gourdseed. I don't know if they still do (don't recall seeing it last time I checked.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Native Seed SEARCH used to carry something they claimed was Texas Gourdseed. I don't know if they still do (don't recall seeing it last time I checked.)

As I understand it, the Virginia Gourdseed was brought to Texas in the late 1800's by German farmers. It became acclimated to my state and became known as Texas Gourdseed corn. I didn't want the Virginia variety, although the Texas variety came from it. I wanted the Texas variety, both for it's history and because over a hundred years and more, it has acclimated to Texas. The seed I got has been certified as non GMO.

The Painted Mountain plants I set out are growing, the seed I planted is 2-3 inches high now. I'll wait about 3 more weeks, then plant the Texas Gourdseed.

Latest posts