I am becoming a food snob!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
And I think I'm ok with that!

There are so many things that I used to eat and enjoy that were pre-packaged, pre-made, etc that I just don't like anymore now that we raise our own food and I make quite a bit from scratch. It's not that I don't want to like them. In fact, when I eat them, sometimes I am downright dissapointed that I no longer like them. I don't know if ingrediants have changed, or if my taste has changed or what. But I really am becoming a food snob.

I no longer like store bought, resturant made or pre-packaged:

cookies
cheese
spaghetti sauce
pizza
reece's peanut butter cups :(
deep fried anything
deli meat

and the list goes on.

What store bought or pre-parred things do you no longer like that you used to?

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dont care for

green beans
corn
chicken
fish

to name a few. I got used to growing our own, so when I had to start buying these things from the store I dread it. I havent had to buy chicken for a while and am not looking forward to the day I have to. Raising our own meat is the best. I can promise you this, there will be quiet a few people who wont eat at my house any more because we grow our own food. I say too bad so sad, that's more for ME!!!!! ;)

We went walleye fishing 2 years ago, and it's the BEST fish besides red fish, and speckled trout from Corpus Christi TX.... gonna have to plan trips for both kinds of fish!!!!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
dewdrops, isn't that so true! My sister says that she likes organic, farm raised, etc. But that all stops when it comes to meat! The last two times she has come to our house to eat, I have noticed that she didn't eat the meat and she is definately not a vegetarian!!! Once we were having a home raised pork roast that was amazing. And the time before that it was venision. She always used to eat venison, now all of a sudden, "I just can't eat venison any more. It taste too gamey!" Uh huh!! Whatever! Like you said, "too bad, so sad". :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MontyJ made home made strawberry ice cream one time and my cousin's wife would NOT eat it because it did NOT come from the store. I've already hear "I'm not eating at Aunt Sis's house if they have chicken" ROFL.
Isnt it strange that people will buy the same things from the store that are "home grown" but if they see it being grown they wont eat it??? I dont know how peoples minds work.... very weird if you ask me. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they only knew how much cleaner and better nourished your home-raised meat is, they would be begging to come to your house to eat.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Like I said "too bad so sad" for them.... they should know I wouldnt do anything to hurt any of them. My step dad was raised on a farm.... he would have loved to see me take care of these chickens. If he could have, he would have lived here with me :D He loved coming out here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It definitely happens! I think my worst disappointment, is that it is difficult to go out to eat. We do have a couple places that serve grass fed meat, etc.- but for the most part all the food at restaurants taste awful! Another thing I miss is an occasional doughnut. If I take a bite out of one now, all I taste is the grease on my teeth. Oh well, I surely don't need any doughnuts! I can remember the first year, I said "I think we should grow all our own food." It seemed like an impossible dream. We get pretty close, and couldn't be happier. All I need is another location for a couple pigs and a cow! Nothing beats homegrown and homemade!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
It definitely happens! I think my worst disappointment, is that it is difficult to go out to eat. We do have a couple places that serve grass fed meat, etc.- but for the most part all the food at restaurants taste awful! Another thing I miss is an occasional doughnut. If I take a bite out of one now, all I taste is the grease on my teeth. Oh well, I surely don't need any doughnuts! I can remember the first year, I said "I think we should grow all our own food." It seemed like an impossible dream. We get pretty close, and couldn't be happier. All I need is another location for a couple pigs and a cow! Nothing beats homegrown and homemade!
Oh man I'd LOVE to have a pig or two!!!!!! BUT.... I think the neighbors would HAVE A COW....rofl one day maybe. I think I'm pushing my luck with the chickens

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
About the only thing we are missing is beef and pork. DH hunts and fishes so there is always, duck, goose, venison, pheasant, rabbit, etc.... About the only vegtable we do not grow is corn. (Darn coons and deer!) We are always adding beds to the garden and planting more fruit. (We added cherries, butternut, blackberries and grapes this spring) One of his co-worjers asked him*What, are you trying to be self sustaining?* Like it was a BAD thing!?!?! :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't STAND store bought jams now. They taste light pure sugar/corn syrup. I have to do my own. I don't think we've spent a $1 on store bought jam in like 6 years.

Then there is fresh veggies... there are TONS I can't stand because they taste like nothing and I just disappointed. Green beans, carrots, tomatoes....ect. Of course that goes for store bought eggs as well.

Now I have an ice cream making and we're just going NUTS on how good that is, I'm sure we'll never buy the carton 'stuff' out of the freezer at the store again.

Food snobs unite!!! :)