I am indoor gardening this winter!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have 2 pots of 12 and 15 young spinach plants that sprouted this Fall, and one pot of a lettuce. I will start lettuce seed, too. I'm bringing in beets, carrots and radishes this weekend to put in windows in my basement and first floor. Has anybody else done this before?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I brought in from the garden (in Oct) a yellow pear tomato and a large parsley plant. I'd also brought in two yellow squash plants but they died. Last week, in addition to the plant/grow light, I added a heat lamp like what we use on the chickens. They are only on during the day.

We eat regularly from the parsley and ate our first yellow pear tomatoes this past weekend. I've also started pole peans, scallions, radishes, greens and cucumbers. Started another couple tomato plants too. I really love eating fresh veggies in the winter.

As far as pollinating the tomato flowers, we're "lucky" to still have some flies in the house from the summer. They are doing the job for us. When they stop, we'll use the q-tip method.

My tip: remember to water them!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce does well in containers. I've never tried carrots or beets. I will be curious to see how they turn out for you.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'll need to start a Photobucket Album and take pictures for you. There are in rooms that I go into every day--hard to forget about them. Pity my geraniums bc they are upstairs AND in the "Dedman Storage Unit"--DD who moved home is storing her stuff, there. It's MUCH easier to forget to water THEM!! =b
I like the idea about the fan. Also, note that I'm growing cool weather crops, that can handle being next to a window in the winter.

Latest posts