I am probably going to regret this.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see it all coming together...lets see, you're a New Yorker, you grow tomatoes, olives and mushrooms...check, check, check, check.

Have you given any thought to starting your own gourmet pizza shop?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see it all coming together...lets see, you're a New Yorker, you grow tomatoes, olives and mushrooms...check, check, check, check.

Have you given any thought to starting your own gourmet pizza shop?

That is funny, I love it!! You left out an important ingredient though: Mia moglie è una bella signora italiana . ;)

And, I grow garlic also, lots and lots of garlic.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The least cost method would be to grow them from the mushrooms purchased at the market, because you get to eat the mushrooms in the process. Sort of having your cake and eating it too.
jackb
How would you get the spores and eat the mushrooms? Aren't they way past their prime by the time they produce spores?

I bought a kit through a seed company probably 15+ years ago. It cost about $30 back then!

They sure didn't produce in a week. It was winter and cool/cold in the basement. After doing something silly like checking them twice a day, I did something stupid like ignore them for a week. The first batch were a little too mature by the time I noticed! I think I had to throw some away ...

I decided that winter in my basement was not a prime time but I am busy with green plants during other times of the year. We like mushrooms ... pizza ... olive oil .

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is funny, I love it!! You left out an important ingredient though: Mia moglie è una bella signora italiana . ;)
What ever you said, it sounds romantic! haha For some reason I don't think it is garlic. :D Bella signora italiana, I can figure out.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How would you get the spores and eat the mushrooms? Aren't they way past their prime by the time they produce spores?

I bought a kit through a seed company probably 15+ years ago. It cost about $30 back then!

They sure didn't produce in a week. It was winter and cool/cold in the basement. After doing something silly like checking them twice a day, I did something stupid like ignore them for a week. The first batch were a little too mature by the time I noticed! I think I had to throw some away ...

I decided that winter in my basement was not a prime time but I am busy with green plants during other times of the year. We like mushrooms ... pizza ... olive oil .

:) Steve

Steve,
As I understand the process with oyster mushrooms, once you see mycelium forming on the outside of the mushroom you can remove pieces of the mushroom and incubate the mycelium. Only small pieces are needed and mycelium on the exterior of the mushroom can be wiped off, the mushroom can be cooked and eaten. That is the theory, I'll see if it works.
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, progress is being made, another day or so and the first bloom will be ready to pick. And, mycelium is forming on the corrugated cardboard I sterilized in the pressure cooker. The book says if whatever is growing is white, everything OK, any other color and it is contamination. I read that mycelium will keep going as long as it has something to consume, so I am going to transfer some to another vessel with sterilized corrugated and try to keep the process going.

The inoculated grain I purchased on eBay has been place in sterilized used coffee grounds. I am using a pastry container from the market.

No one will be more amazed than me if this works.

Almost ready.jpg

mycelium incubating.jpg

fruiting.jpg

Last edited:

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut Off, Louisiana Zone 9a, Bayou Country
Wow this is very interesting, as we all LOVE mushrooms I've always wished I could grow my own as everything is getting more & more expensive! I will definitely have to keep watching your awesome project!!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went out for ice cream last night and my wife asked the girl at the counter for used coffee grounds, so I have more to work with. At this rate, if this works, oyster mushrooms will be free. ;)
sterilization of coffee grounds.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now this is the time I think about mushrooming out ..

. and growing in the darkness of my basement ;).

How is your mushroom oyster world?

Steve

Latest posts