I am so bad . . .

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Tee-Hee :lol:

For those of you who don't know about the BackYard Chickens forum (it's a sister site to this one, about raising urban chickens in your backyard, and I've been yapping over there about our newest endeavor), my hubby and I decided recently to have chickens and I've been running around like a mad thing trying to figure out who's got the best prices in town for things like chicken coop building supplies, chicken bedding (Tractor Supply Co, hands down) and feed, etc. I've also been yapping over there about chickens!

While I was visiting Tractor Supply today to look at chicken stuff, I discovered that they had raspberry plants.

Oh dear.

You see, we planted 3 raspberry plants last year and only 1 survived, and even then it was eaten down to the snowline by rabbits. The other ones, well, one *might* come back (but it doesn't look anywhere near as healthy as the other, even if it is showing buds) and the other one was eaten right down to its crown, and hasn't shown any signs of life.

So, I've been trying to have some self-discipline since it's really only just gotten warm around here, but . . . well . . .

I bought Latham raspberry plants (they came in a set of two) at Tractor Supply Co. Today.

Bad me! In my defense, they are already starting buds, look nice and healthy, and *came* in packs of two, I couldn't separate them, they were packaged that way. And they were only $4, which makes it $2 a plant and the cheapest berry I've bought so far, ever.

I am going to try to plant them alongside last year's survivor's sometime this weekend.

Whitewater (it's an addiction . . . )

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We could have worse addictions.I have a box full of seeds,and yet I am always looking at packets at the store.Putting money aside for plants and tools.When asked what I want for holidays I always say....dirt,mulch,tools,or seeds.Never buy me flowers only plants!

Hope your plants make it. I have raspberry,but I cut them all down last year,so I may have nothing this year.Jap beetles were all over them last summer. Another good plant is currants if you like sour.

I never had any luck with blue berries.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
We could have worse addictions.I have a box full of seeds,and yet I am always looking at packets at the store.Putting money aside for plants and tools.When asked what I want for holidays I always say....dirt,mulch,tools,or seeds.Never buy me flowers only plants!
I'm the same way! For Christmas, my husband gave me some new grow-lights and a bag of bat guano, and it was better than jewelry or clothes! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My birthday comes in early spring.

I have asked for and received composted manure more than once. For my 25th birthday, I got a "tough, killion pound forged steel tool with the proper design and weight to quickly and easily cut through sod, compacted soil, and roots. Super for trenching! The human-powered rototiller alternative." That's right, a grubbing hoe!

I had new ground to put into garden that year . . .

This goes a long way back but I've got a weak back. I've still got that hoe -- proved too much for me ;).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I know what you mean. Living in the city, I always ask for gift certificates from Home Depot! How lame can that be? My preschool parents already know me and still give me a strange look.:D

Mary

Of course, the gift card is always used for the garden section. I tell hubby he can't put any of his stuff on it.:)

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
We could have worse addictions.
Ain't that the truth! That's how I justify buying plants when I am struggling to find spots for the ones I have. And also when I hide plants when I come home from the garden center. And when I secretly order plants online late at night when nobody else is around. Addiction........ But I hardly ever buy clothes, have never had a manicure, don't care much for jewelry, don't go out on the town.....

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NinnyMary, I've gotten Home Depot gift certs for Christmas for about five years now. My in-laws think I'm nuts, so they always toss in a pair of earrings or a Macy's gift card, too. Those are nice, but.......gimme that Home Depot card and I'm in heaven.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Mattemma said:
I'm the same way! For Christmas, my husband gave me some new grow-lights and a bag of bat guano, and it was better than jewelry or clothes! :D
Holy Cow!! Did your DH talk to my DH???? I got crap too!!! I love this. I am not the only person who gets excited about poo.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
aquarose said:
Ain't that the truth! That's how I justify buying plants when I am struggling to find spots for the ones I have. And also when I hide plants when I come home from the garden center. And when I secretly order plants online late at night when nobody else is around. Addiction........ But I hardly ever buy clothes, have never had a manicure, don't care much for jewelry, don't go out on the town.....
I'm exactly the same way!

Yep, i rather buy plants then clothes, shoes or other things other people seem to care about.
At least this addiction gives back or rewards you!! ;)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It happens to me too, last Mother's Day I asked for some truckloads of loam as my gift and my kids were yelling at me about it saying that they weren't buying me dirt for Mother's Day, they did finally agree to give me gift certificates to our local nursery though.
My husband gave me a particular beehive that I wanted and drove to New York to pick it up.
He gave me a garden arbor for my birthday one time.
On my birthday I told him that I wanted us to go to a beekeeper's conference for the weekend and he agreed but the kids were mad at him.
They thought he should still buy me something but this weekend away was expensive. I think they just didn't want to have to babysit while we were gone.:lol:
He gets me when it comes to that but the kids don't, but they mean well.
They want me to have jewelry, perfume and things like that, things they would enjoy getting, but they are young and don't have a garden.

He knows that I get more use out of a beehive or a truckload of soil.
I usually buy what I need and then say oh this is my birthday present by the way and he is like okay whatever.
I go to the nursery down the street from my house at least twice a week all spring and summer. I have to see what they are getting in all the time and I buy stuff every time.
I bought 21 fruit trees this year and a dozen berry shrubs, a couple dozen raspberry and blackberry canes, kiwi vines, grape vines.
I went real crazy this year and those chickens better stay away, I will make sure that they have unearthed their last perennial.
The goats have already proven that they can't be trusted, it seems they particularly enjoy arborvites and lavendar.