I am so excited!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few of weeks ago now, I was trimming my mini roses. I thought, hmmm, I wonder if I could root this clipping? I have never tried rooting a rose. But, I figured I would give it a try.

I put some rooting powder on it, stuck it in the bed with the rest of the mini roses. It looked kind of droopy the next day, so I put a plastic "cloche" over it, and it perked back up with the added humidity.

10142011MiniRose001email.jpg

Now it has some new leaves sprouting!!

10142011MiniRose006email.jpg

I did it!:weight

I did it!!:rose

I did it!!!:throw

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandmother rooted many, many rosebushes that way, except she used a Ball quart jar to cover the cutting. She was poor so didn't have money to buy plants so she collected seeds, cuttings, and other ways of having all types flowers in her yard. Of course, using glass means heat becomes a factor in the process.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's amazing!! ;)

Congrats on your success :thumbsup

I've tried to plant rose cuttings many times with no success, maybe the trick is to cover it with a container to keep with the humidity.
That's what makes gardening so much fun, we can all learn from each other.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried a couple of years ago to do a rose cutting, but it didn't work. I have found I do have to "enclose" the cuttings of other plants to have them root. High humidity seems to be a key, that and a good rooting medium. I use Zip Lock bags over the pots. Once the plant begins to show new growth, I open the bottom of the bag and let the plant "harden off" to the less humid enviroment. We have very low humidity here most of the year.

Reaction score
I have a lot of roses and in the fall I cut them back a little and put the cutting out. Some roses root a lot easer than others. The Knockout roses root very easy but I don't think they are as pretty as the long stemmed tea rose. I almost gave up growing roses a few years ago, they would not grow in our hard clay soil. My husband hauled in some composted wood shavings and horse manure and put about a 4 inch layer over the bed. The next year the roses started to grow and I picked a big bouquet to take to the bank. This year, I took four different arrangements into town. One had 27 blooms, one 53 blooms and I forgot to count the other. Back to the knockout roses. A lady I work for ask me to trim her's. I brought the clippings home and put rooting powder on them and put them on the north side of the house. A lot of them rooted. After the hot dry summer we had this year her rose died and last week I suprised her by giving her back a three foot knockout rose that came from her cuttings.

Latest posts