I built a trellis today!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I built a Trellis. I decided to again attempt to grow a Sunflower and Morning Glory arch at the entrance to the Flagstone path in the front yard.

A couple of years ago I had a Sunflower arch. Here is a photo of it (The sunflower heads are gone, but the stalks are still there to support the vines.
Sept302007Archemail.jpg

The day after I took the photo above, we had a huge storm and the arch was a complete disaster!!
It fell down!!
CollapseofArchwayOct12007email.jpg

So this year, I am planning ahead and it will not fall down when the rains and wind come.
Here is the new trellis.
Feb26TrellisFrontYardbefore02email.jpg

I have to add some support posts to it, my husband informed me it "lacks structural integrity"... So I am off to get more PVC fittings tomorrow and improve the design. My husband was afraid it would fall on his truck since it it pretty tall and right next to the driveway.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh fabulous!!! You are so way creative!!!

I KNOW that will withstand anything thrown at it. Definitely get fresh pictures when it is covered this year. I can't wait to see it Sunflower heads and all :p

:rainbow-sun

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
Wow! :thumbsup Nice!

How did you attach the pvc?
I am not sure I understand the question.... If you mean how did I make the angles, i used "Tees" and "Elbows", if you mean how did I get ti to stand up... I buried the four legs about 18' in the ground.

Tomorrow it will have "legs" going down from the center of the two side pieces so each side wil have a triangle as a base. ( I am married to an engineer, so he is good at telling me how I "should have" built things. (you would think I would run these things by him first, but I seldom do.) I need the extra support so it won't "wobble", or fall one way or the other in a strong windstorm. (hopefully)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What are you using as ground cover between your stepping stones? How long did it take to fill in!?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good for you. No, I don't think it is silly not to ask his advice . . . you learn better making your own mistakes. Those engineer types can be exhausting to listen to anyway. :rolleyes: But definitely good to have handy! :)

Beautiful photo of the previous trellis . . . glad you got one before it failed!

Latest posts