I can't believe that worked!

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So last year I randomly bought a 4 pack of tomato plants and I had a huge amount of success with them. I had tons of beautiful roma tomatoes all season. Because I am a little bit of a lazy gardener, and I didn't want to mess with saving their seeds, I planted some of the tomatoes in the gound, no fertilizer, just a thin layer of soil. Well lo and behold I saw a random tomato plant in the bed I planted them in. I have no idea if the plant will produce but I am pretty impressed. Has anyone else ever done this?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't done this, but I have had random volunteer tomatoes in my compost heap from pieces of tomato I just threw in there! :)

Long as they aren't hybrid roma's they should grow true.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown (and only a couple of times mind you) tomatoes in my compost heap by just tossing the very ripe ones in and covering them up ..the next year I had great big lush tomato vines..I was stunned

so at the end of the summer I try this every year ...but this does not happen consistantly

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just thought about doing this yesterday! I pulled up half a dozen volunteer plants yesterday and they had pieces of yellow tomato skin stuck to their roots. I figured that's what had happened. I might try this, if I dont get 60 tomato plants! lol

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Small warning here: One year I tossed all my old vines on the compost pile at the end of the season instead of burning them. Didn't give it much thought. The next spring I spread a load of compost onto the front lawn and had tomato seeds sprouting everywhere! Moral of the story: Remember where you bury the dang things in the fall!

:he

Rusty

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rusty said:
Small warning here: One year I tossed all my old vines on the compost pile at the end of the season instead of burning them. Didn't give it much thought. The next spring I spread a load of compost onto the front lawn and had tomato seeds sprouting everywhere! Moral of the story: Remember where you bury the dang things in the fall!

:he

Rusty
Purdy Horse!!

Rusty,

Don't feel bad, I grew up in TX and there was this new-to-the-business hay farmer who thought it would be a great idea to use er.. human waste (from a company--he had lots of acreage) to fertilize his hay fields. Well the same thing happened to him except on over 100 acres!! Apparently the tomato seeds don't digest in the human digestive system.

As you can imagine, the news spread fast and soon the whole town (a very small one) found out about his blunder. He had to hire lots of workers to work round the clock to clean out his hay fields! (And I don't think anyone local wanted to buy that hay. :sick )

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am so trying this! But I think I'll mark where I plant each tomato ;-)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My brother gets this every year and yes they produce, not as well. I had one last year which I got because if I have a bad tomato in the garden I throw is over the fence. My chickens think this is a good practice. When my son moved the trailor I had a tomato plant growing next to the chicken coop. It produced some small tomatoes. I would not devote a spot in my garden for one.

Latest posts